Fairlady 1977 260?z

Eric Gilligan

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all...delighted with my find. I got a RHD fairlady z. I believe it's a 260 from the tail lights but an s31 ( the updated s30 with EFI ) anyway....came with 2 doors to fit. I believe though the doors are from a 240z since the window regulator wont fit the doors. Or...so I'm told. Currently I am in Italy so I didnt see the car in person..but maybe someone knows either how to fit the regulators from a 77 260/ fairlady into the 240 doors? I am not sure how it works but...I'm sure there is a way no? I wont be back in Ireland until the end of next month so I can maybe figure it out but in the meantime...any advice? Picture below is what I have of the doors that came with the car. I'll get a photo of the actual door that was on the car tomorow IMG-20210723-WA0000.jpg IMG-20211020-WA0001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20211016-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20211016-WA0002.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 35
Welcome Eric!

I'd just try and source the correct doors - someone will probably offer you good money for the 240z ones if they're solid. I'm guessing we're just talking about standard windows too - not electric?

Welcome Eric!

I'd just try and source the correct doors - someone will probably offer you good money for the 240z ones if they're solid. I'm guessing we're just talking about standard windows too - not electric?
Thanks ! :) Yeah I was thinking that maybe I will just sell the doors as a final resort but in Ireland... Datsun's are non existent so I am just looking into making it work for now. Yes, just normal windy windows :D But then if I go on the look for the proper ones, which ones will fit a 77 fairlady Z :confused: Late 260 maybe? Not sure until I see them I guess. I believe they are solid ( but second hand ) and were bought in the UK and sent to Germany then over to Ireland.

Yeah, you'll want doors from a late 260z. Not sure if the door cards would fit either? Latch positions may be different too.

Last edited:
I got a RHD fairlady z. I believe it's a 260 from the tail lights but an s31 ( the updated s30 with EFI )

I'd advise you to try to avoid - if possible - the self-laid trap of thinking "it's a 260" etc, as that will eventually lead you to ending up with the wrong data and the wrong parts.

First of all, '260Z' means several different things depending on production date, target market and sub-variant, so it is already a bit of a minefield. The safest thing is to keep in mind that it is a Japanese market model and that the best reference point for major body parts is production date.

I *think* I can read the chassis number as 'S31-000287', and therefore it would have been made in 1976.

Looks like you have the wrong doors. Your best bet is to try to get hold of some complete doors from a 2-seater model that you know was made in 1976 or later. If they come from a USA market donor (the most likely source) that would mean an 'HLS30' prefixed 'Datsun 280Z' 2-seater.

...someone will probably offer you good money for the 240z ones if they're solid.

Agreed. Good early type doors usually change hands for surprising sums.

Final thought: Why did the car come without doors...? (Edit: Ah, OK. I see now).

Sorry that should have read 240z regulators.

Thanks. I think I sent him a message already earlier ( if its the same Minksport on ebay? )

Yeah, you'll want doors from a late 260z. Not sure if the door cards would fit either? Latch positions may be different too.

hmm I am not sure.. himself is messing with it since I am not there now to look and see what the story is :O :) You could be right about the latch... well he said it wouldnt fit so... have to take his word for it ( the regulator that is ) and the photo of the door I have looks to be a 240. So makes sense.. who knew! Who needs windows anyway hhaha
I'd advise you to try to avoid - if possible - the self-laid trap of thinking "it's a 260" etc, as that will eventually lead you to ending up with the wrong data and the wrong parts.

First of all, '260Z' means several different things depending on production date, target market and sub-variant, so it is already a bit of a minefield. The safest thing is to keep in mind that it is a Japanese market model and that the best reference point for major body parts is production date.

I *think* I can read the chassis number as 'S31-000287', and therefore it would have been made in 1976.

Looks like you have the wrong doors. Your best bet is to try to get hold of some complete doors from a 2-seater model that you know was made in 1976 or later. If they come from a USA market donor (the most likely source) that would mean an 'HLS30' prefixed 'Datsun 280Z' 2-seater.

Agreed. Good early type doors usually change hands for surprising sums.

Final thought: Why did the car come without doors...? (Edit: Ah, OK. I see now).

Correct ... its a Fairlady first but to me its a 260 because of the rear lights! :D But still a fairlady haha confused already. Anyways you are right ( I think ) on the chassis number, its low which means 76 but then I read somewhere that they were produced in 76 and released in 77. Since I dont have a log book ( another issue it seems with registering it in Ireland - although I was told / read that a letter from Nissan and a letter from a vintage club would be enough to overcome that hurdle ) I cant tell what year but... another but... its a 2.0 litre with EFI so.. we may never find out :cool:

Correct ... its a Fairlady first but to me its a 260 because of the rear lights! :D But still a fairlady haha confused already. Anyways you are right ( I think ) on the chassis number, its low which means 76 but then I read somewhere that they were produced in 76 and released in 77. Since I dont have a log book ( another issue it seems with registering it in Ireland - although I was told / read that a letter from Nissan and a letter from a vintage club would be enough to overcome that hurdle ) I cant tell what year but... another but... its a 2.0 litre with EFI so.. we may never find out

Trust me, I have the chassis number sequences for the Japanese market models declared by Nissan to the Japanese motor manufacturers association, and your particular car was manufactured in 1976.

Trust me, I have the chassis number sequences for the Japanese market models declared by Nissan to the Japanese motor manufacturers association, and your particular car was manufactured in 1976.

Thanks! At least when it comes to registering it it will help :) Know what month? hahah Also.. when looking for parts, am I best to look for 260 or fairlady or is there variations in stuff? ( Probably a stupid question there )

Thanks! At least when it comes to registering it it will help :) Know what month? hahah Also.. when looking for parts, am I best to look for 260 or fairlady or is there variations in stuff? ( Probably a stupid question there )

As Alan says - your best bet will be importing some from a dry US state - off a 280Z

Last edited:
As above look to the states for late 77/78 doors from their 280z if you are wanting them for a late 77/78 260z
Couldn't find any in the uk when I wanted a pair and earlier doors are totally diffo, glass, window reg, lock mech, door cards, inner handles etc.
Doors was cheap as chips over there, but getting them to the UK was the hard/expensive part but worth it

As above look to the states for late 77/78 doors from their 280z if you are wanting them for a late 77/78 260z
Couldn't find any in the uk when I wanted a pair and earlier doors are totally diffo, glass, window reg, lock mech, door cards, inner handles etc.
Doors was cheap as chips over there, but getting them to the UK was the hard/expensive part but worth it
Yeah.. I think what I am gonna do is take the skins off the 240 doors that I got with the car and put them on to the original frames as I believe that they are fine... I guess that will work :p

Good 240z doors are probably worth twice what a pair of 280z ones will cost you.

Do we get to see photos of the entire car please :

outside, inside, engine bay....we don't see very many so be nice to all over yours - well done btw.

Keeping it stock or.....?

Good 240z doors are probably worth twice what a pair of 280z ones will cost you.
Just seen a pair for sale on ebay... exactly the ones I want but.. we shall see :D Not sure what to do yet! Havent seen it yet even as I am still away in Italy and its at home in Ireland :D

Do we get to see photos of the entire car please :

outside, inside, engine bay....we don't see very many so be nice to all over yours - well done btw.

Keeping it stock or.....?

Thanks :D Well.. am I keeping it stock? hmm I like fender flares but I also hate the idea of cutting into it :/ I think there is a way to avoid cutting and still add flares but heard it doesnt look right. I am looking at wheels but lost the page where it tells me what wheels are flush with the stock lips. Is it ET0? not sure what to do with it yet... repair the rust and take it from there :D I see you sell wheels no? So maybe you know what sizes run flush with the panels?

Also.. pictures? you sure? its rough! and all I have is what the guy selling it sent me ... so... well.. Shes up and running now thanks to the dad.
It came with an unfitted Abarth exhaust but I was looking at videos and it sounds annoying lol

2.0 litre... automatic but it came with a manual box so I will be changing that as well ...

Ok.. pics.. hmm if you close one eye you wont see the bad bits :p IMG-20210712-WA0024.jpeg IMG-20210713-WA0000.jpg IMG-20210713-WA0002.jpg IMG-20210713-WA0004.jpg IMG-20210713-WA0007.jpg

Back