Engine required

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User
I need an engine to replace the one in my 240Z which is now using large amounts of oil. Condition is largely irrelevant as I will recondition it before putting it in the car. So if anyone has a 240, 260 or 280 engine surplus please pm me. However I have just had the head fully reconned on my present engine so it makes sense to use that but as an ignoramus I am confused about the seemingly different types of head, which will my 72 240Z have, are they interchangeable, and which is better? I also still need a good R180 diff. Any help and advice from fellow members will be most appreciated.

I need an engine to replace the one in my 240Z which is now using large amounts of oil. Condition is largely irrelevant as I will recondition it before putting it in the car. So if anyone has a 240, 260 or 280 engine surplus please pm me. However I have just had the head fully reconned on my present engine so it makes sense to use that but as an ignoramus I am confused about the seemingly different types of head, which will my 72 240Z have, are they interchangeable, and which is better? I also still need a good R180 diff. Any help and advice from fellow members will be most appreciated.

Keep an eye on ebay engines usually sell around the £40 mark, the last one I sold on there which was in great shape went for £2 :eek:. Your head is probably an E88 this is cast into it on the same side as the spark plugs. To find out about heads view head threads everyone has different opinions on what is best, at the end of the day it also depends on what you are going to use the car for.

Try to look in the classifieds, there is a engine for free, if it is still there, but instead of swapping in another engine, why don't you re build the one you have, gaskets, rings and bearings, it is fairly easy if there is no scuff marks in the bores and you will have a engine for the rest of the time you have that Z.

Chris

I have a 280Zx engine here which you can have for £100. Condition unknown, it's my spare in case of a blow-up.

I also have a very good 240Z block and crank, but no conrods and pistons. Your pistons and rings will be the cost if you have a good head, When I stripped my engine down due to oil consumption it was the pistons/rings at fault not valve guides as I'd suspected.

I'm not sure what you need re regs etc for historic rallies but my guess would be that the 280 engine stripped and rebuilt would be the cheapest and most powerful option.

I have a L26.I new the car it came frome, done around 60k Your welcome to it. I also know a guy who has a L24

Is a 2.8 litre allowed for historic rallies on 240Zs ?
I dont think a 280 is homologated in historic rally , and people who are involved in Z,s wil see the different .
280Z are actually never been imporetd in the EU , and homlogation is i think from 1975 or 1976 .

The L28 was Homologated in 1975 and is permitted in the British Historic Rally Championships - anything used or Homologated up to the end of '75 is allowed. I beleive that the FIA Regularity Rallies only allow the L24, but see the Regs applicable to each particular event.

Malcolmpaul - your best bet is to Recon the 'short' Engine you have at present - anything on Ebay is going to be knackered and in the same ( or worse ) condition as your own. Remember - you get what you pay for in this life ! Parts & Machining for the bottom end including Gaskets, etc, should come to less than £600 or so ( & I am including new Timing Chains, OIl & Water Pumps), & will be worth it in the long term.

Back