Engine Inspection Hatches

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
Are all the engine inspection hatches interchangeable between 240z/260z/260z 2+2/
Also, do the USA hatches fit UK cars ?.......even the 280z ones
Thanks in advance

Yes - to first question (edit - missed the second one)

See answers below!

Last edited by a moderator:
The inspection covers are interchangeable, but the early ones had plastic clips instead of the metal tangs.

The hatches are the same (except the early ones had the vents) but you can't put a 2+2 hatch on a 2 seater if that's what you mean!

thanks for that.
....."the early ones had the vents". That surprises me as my z book with early z's doesn't show this feature. (Not saying your wrong) .

As a matter of fact I'm interested in louvred inspection hatch flaps. I think they are available in the states and some members on here have them fitted. Also, toward the end of 2014 Balloo2 was going to get some made up in carbon fibre with a possible bulk buy.

Any comments?

Fairlady Roadster to 280zx by Brian Long........

.........but back to louvred inspection hatches

Fairlady Roadster to 280zx by Brian Long........

Page 71 in my edition, under "production changes". There aren't any photos that show it I've noticed, but as has been mentioned, in early 1971, the air vents, which had been in the rear hatch below the screen, were moved to the rear quarters - hence the switch from the "240Z" rear quarter emblems to the round "Z" vented emblems.

RE: inspection flaps, there are places that will add the louvres. There's been a lot of inspection flaps on eBay recently (former poster Samuri-240 liquidating some of his extensive stockpile!) - you could get a pair of those and have them done. I'm sure someone will come along and suggest somewhere that can do it.

If your Z gets out in the rain then won't the water go through the louvres and sit where you don't want it to?

sorry for the confusion. I said inspection hatch to mean inspection flaps. (Yes, the tailgate hatch was different in the early z cars)

A lot of us like to muck about with the cars. I was thinking of louvred inspection flaps for summer months, particularly when sitting in traffic on hot days. Bit of a discussion on their merits or otherwise on past usa forums. And no, my car avoids the rain.

Back