Electronic Ignition

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User
Interested in fitting electronic ignition to my 240Z. What can members recommend, and is it worth it?

Blimey are there still 240s out there with points?

So the answer is yes. Apart from the performance benefits you can fit it and forget it.

I use Lumenition Optronic, it's been 100% reliable but I don't know if it's still available. A company called 'Autocar' sold bits for this I think.

Aldon ignitor with (just browse this link http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/ ) flame thrower coil, just needs a constant cranking 12v supply, fit and forget magnetic air gap type.

Also used luminition optical but not in a Z.

Nige

Lumenition optronic. I've got it on my 260 (L28). It's dead easy to fit and the moment you turn the key you'll kick yourself for not having done it before!

Tony 260Z said:
Lumenition optronic. I've got it on my 260 (L28). It's dead easy to fit and the moment you turn the key you'll kick yourself for not having done it before!

Hello, do you have any adress where I can get it.:bow:
Would like to have one for mine 240Z (L28).
Thanks.

Ian Patmore said:
Amazombi,
Why not just use the electronic system from the 280zx.....
Cause I just bought the engine withoute any eletronic stuff.
I gonna go with a triple set of 40Weber (Gallery).

Hmm, now a bit worried.
I thought I still could take the wiring from the 240.
When I`m going with caburators.
I thought its just the ignition what has to be at the right time but that there are different distributor I didnt think about.:(
Bongo is going to sale a distrbutor from a 280ZX to me. What will I need to complete the hole thing that it will runing?
Is somebody here who owns a wiring plan for this?:bow:
Best regards.
Joachim

Hi chaps,

Wiring is really simple, 2 wires! The only mod is to by-pass the balast resistor on the coil.

:S30: there is a thread on here some place and all the info is there. but if you cant find it i think iv got a diagram some place email with your email address ill send it you if i can find it

martin.

Amazombi said:
Hmm, now a bit worried.
I thought I still could take the wiring from the 240.
When I`m going with caburators.
I thought its just the ignition what has to be at the right time but that there are different distributor I didnt think about.:(
Bongo is going to sale a distrbutor from a 280ZX to me. What will I need to complete the hole thing that it will runing?
Is somebody here who owns a wiring plan for this?:bow:
Best regards.
Joachim

You don't need to worry about the wiring or changing the coil and distributor to run with triples - it's been done dozens of times (mine has it too on triples) and works so well ! Another mod. that Nissan introduced back in 1975 on the market !

On the other hand, I've alreay replied to Bongos' ad. for a friend over here so I hope that can be sorted out !

Thanks a lot. :bow:
I ve a new coil bought(comes with the car).
It called S200 or somehow and its Oil cooled! And heavy.
Never seen this before.
I will check all youre advices oute and let you know.
Best regards.
Joachim

Have done a bit of price checking and the Aldon igniter is half the price of the Lumenition Optronic, so why? and is it as good? Any advice, preferably from someone who's had experience of both, appreciated.

malcolmpaul@fre said:
Have done a bit of price checking and the Aldon igniter is half the price of the Lumenition Optronic, so why? and is it as good? Any advice, preferably from someone who's had experience of both, appreciated.

I've used both in motorsport aplications, optical beam needs no setup/adjustments, ignitor needs you to set the air gap for the magnets (once only unless you take it apart), both systems are fit and forget, both need solid cranking 12volt ignition supply, both replace all wires from coil to dizzy in the kit, both if fitted to webber/delortos should have vac advance disconnected, if your going with a big cam then get Aldon or another rolling road to sort the counter weights out for advance.
As for which is best....no real preferance, both are easy to install, are fit and forget, have spares supply support and are proven in motorsport aplications for many years, as for fitting a 280 dizzy, my only comment is why would you want to fit a 20 plus year old system with minimal spares support when simple cost effective units are readily available, please don't say it's to 'be in keeping with the concours ethos of my classic build' cause I won't give a responce;)

Nige

as for fitting a 280 dizzy, my only comment is why would you want to fit a 20 plus year old system with minimal spares support when simple cost effective units are readily available,

Fair point Nige. The way I humbly look at it is the L series was at some point designed to go with (or the other way round) the 280zx dizzy. Also speaking to my engine builder, he prefers the 280zx dizzy and will handle the job excellently. He has done some R and D on other electric dizzy stuff (some costing a bit of money) and there has been no power increase (maybe only 1 hp) against the cost of the set up.

Cheers
Ian

Back