Ebay Toyota 2000GT

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
wow !!! i wish i had some money !!!! if i win the lottery i am buying it !!!!!
a strange place to sell such a rare car, it is worth at least £85,000

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Russ said:
I don't like it at all, for that money I could have this (in black on a '68 please)

I agree with Russ on one point, I don't like it either, ugly as sin and for that money i'd rather have an EType roadster, 260z, BSA Goldie, Suzuki GSXR1100 and still have cash in the bank.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
I like them - but I do have a classic Japanese sports car fetish :devil:

It's hand built and as exclusive as any Ferrari (etc) of the same period.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Philistines - an E-Type, a Charger ? Why not a round the world cruise you pussys ?

That car IS a work of art AND an investment !

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
2000GT - 1 Charger - 0

Those early Toyotas are truly beautiful cars.... oh.....and unlike American muscle cars they go round corners too :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Never mind if they don't even move - if I had the space and the money, I'd have one of these and a Muira in my salon just to look at !

The Charger improved when it grew into a Viper GTS and was the first GTS car to drop below 4mins per lap at Le Mans.

The Toyota is timeless and so should remain.

Toyota 2 Charger 0

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
The Toyota has style and panache:cool:, iconic looks, timeless and unique styling, the charger........ has a big engine and handles like a hang glider.

Drive round in a charger and everyone will be TTP shouting "Yeeeehawwww".
Drive around in the 2000GT and everyone will be whispering "What on earth was that".

Apples and aardvarks I'm afraid

Toyota 3 charger 0

john-h

Well-Known Forum User
I love it!
Hand built by Yamaha.
Am I right that the design was offered to Datsun before it was taken up by Toyota?
I understand that the pop up headlights were added because of the Yanks who yet again managed to corrupt the lines of a lovely motor for fun.

Russ

Club Member
Jees and I thought you guys knew about cars! *sigh* :p

Those lights on the front look horrid, the wheels look crap, the dash was made from a slab of wood, the overall lines are ok, but it's no Miura.

I think you're comparison of the Charger and Toymota are unfair, as they were never designed to compete no was I suggesting one was better. I was just saying for the money I could have a lot more fun.

That Charger has real presence, and a stonking v8. It's the most badass car you can get (bad guys drive Chargers, we all know this). Ok it's a boat but I wasn't suggesting you take it to the track, it's all about rumbling along a promenade or something.

68charger12.jpg

68charger4.jpg

68charger8.jpg

68charger18.jpg

rear.jpg

What a rear! I'd keep the brightwork though.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
john-h said:
Am I right that the design was offered to Datsun before it was taken up by Toyota?

No. You are wrong.

Russ, I'm starting to worry about you. There's plenty of room under the sun for both the Toyota 2000GT and the Dodge Charger, so you don't need to 'choose' between them by comparing them. There's no point.

Having been lucky enough to drive a proper ( RHD! ) MF10 Toyota 2000GT around Tsukuba race circuit in Japan, I can tell you that it was a revelation. As a proper Grand Tourer in the original sense of the term it fully deserves its 'GT' badge, and as a package it was very well balanced. A wonderful experience that I won't forget.

However, I'm also an old Mopar fan ( previously a '68 Barracuda owner ) and can appreciate the Charger for what it is. I got a drive of a big block '69 Charger ( a 440 R/T ) in Japan too, and it was very interesting and fun, if a bit creaky and squeaky.

The Toyota is beluga caviar and the Charger is beef dripping. I like both, but not on the same piece of toast.

:)

john-h

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry Albrecht.
Just what I read in Classic and Sportscar.

Can't believe all you read!