E88 head without a spray bar????

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hello all, I've just swapped my Cam Cover for one that I'd polished up and there is no spray bar! There is no oil starvation as there isn't the slightest amount of wear on the cam and there is oil everywhere. Just no Spray Bar. There are some small holes in teh actual cam lobes though.

Can anybody tell me anything about it only I've never seen a Z engine without a spraybar.

Cheers

Matt

Yes that's ok you have a later engine where the oil feed is through the cam. Some people add an early spraybar too!

Cheers Rob, panic over. Don't think I'll bother adding a spray bar too, there is absolutely NO wear what so ever on the cam lobes so the system obviously works fine as is. What year could the engine be then cos I had a mid-late '73 car and that engine had a spray bar too?

To summarise, thanks for the answer! lol

Matt

Check to see if your cam towers have the spray bar attachments with plates bolted over - these could be removed to fit a "belt and braces" spray bar to your internally oiled camshaft. If the head is a later one ('78/'79 280ZX onwards I think) the cam towers won't be machined for spray bar, then you would need early cam towers to be able to fit one...

Yeah, mine has the blanking plates over the holes that would be the spray bar fitting. My engines both have spraybars so I could take one off one of them.

I think that you will find that most people on here wouldn't recommend using secondhand spray bars. They could be clogged and the early versions were prone to the ends falling off...:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you will find that most people on here wouldn't recommend using secondhand spraybars. They could be clogged and the early versions were prone to the ends falling off...:(

When I took my rocker-cover off for the first time the end of my spray bar had fallen off!

Mr F is absolutely right - fit a new one - you have a precision piece of engineering under your bonnet not some 4 stroke lawn-mower jobbie - invest and protect it..............or stop asking advice. :)

Check to see if your cam towers have the spray bar attachments with plates bolted over - these could be removed to fit a "belt and braces" spray bar to your internally oiled camshaft. If the head is a later one ('78/'79 280ZX onwards I think) the cam towers won't be machined for spray bar, then you would need early cam towers to be able to fit one...

My '78 260 didn't have one.

Back