Drilling a patio slab?

Wyn

Club Member
Trying to build a car port/cover over a patio
On one side the supporting legs will have to bolt down to the patio slabs
Do I use normal masonry bits to drill into the slabs?
Will the slabs crack, or how do you avoid the chance ?

PHIL HYETT

Well-Known Forum User
Drill

900ss If you use a progression of sizes to get the final size that might help , slow and easy will do it .

Regards
Phil

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Wyn, bolting a carport to a slab is a bit temporary. You really need to lift the slabs where the legs go and provide concrete foundations. Even a slab size cube of concrete is better than a slab.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
personally I would use a post spike because if you got a serious gale blowing it could lift the slab
Take the slab up drive in the spike and then screed in the space where the slab was removed

Wyn

Club Member
Steve, Rob you guys know better then me
Just I am thinking of say using 6' long bolts to holt them down?
So that would be right through the slab n 4' ish into the concrete underneath ?
Would that not work?
Or could I use longer bolts?

Wyn

Club Member
how do you know there is concrete underneath normally slabs laid on a hardcore base blinded with sand

I had the patio relaid 2 weeks ago as I trashed the last one with me Z resto work lol :eek:
This time before it was relaid the base was dug out more as I wanted to stand the car back on it :D
I say concrete but it still looks sandyish colour to me n not grey like concrete, even though I saw the cement bags as it was mixed?

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
What would worry me is that it is almost the same principle as using a long crowbar to move something

The longer the pole the easier it is for any movement at the top of the pole to disturb or lift the slab the pole is fixed to

I would imagine that the sandyish coloured stuff is a mix of sand ,lime and a small amount of cement used to lay the slabs on

PHIL HYETT

Well-Known Forum User
Car port

Hi , Had a think , Best way to do it is raise the slabs that the post are going to be , dig down three feet fill with concrete , then bolt posts to that using studs or bolts , Bolting thru slabs as said by others is not good enough .

Regards
Phil :driving:

Wyn

Club Member
The longer the pole the easier it is for any movement at the top of the pole to disturb or lift the slab the pole is fixed to

Ok, on a diffo note where is the better position to fix the post
Post will need to be as far out as poss !
So Foot1 or Foot 2?
See attached techie pic ;)

Straddle between the two slabs, or the middle of one slab?

Attachments

• PATFOOT1.jpg
    PATFOOT1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 14

johnymd

Club Member
If you go that close to the edges you will probable crack the slab. Foot 2 would be better.

You mentioned the sandy concrete. How deep was it? Did it have stones in it? If it didn't have stones it was probably a weak sharp sand/cement mix. This is a usual way of laying slabs that you don't want to move. If it was mine then I would drill holes down into the concrete base then use 10mm studding. I'd fix the studding with chemical fix resin. If you use rawbolts or any expanding fixings it will probably crack the base and the slab as you tighten them.

Unless you hold the car port down properly you may find it in next doors garden after the first strong wind so you need to fix it to the base rather than just the slabs.

Wyn

Club Member
You mentioned the sandy concrete. How deep was it?
Did it have stones in it?
If it didn't have stones it was probably a weak sharp sand/cement mix. This is a usual way of laying slabs that you don't want to move.

At a guess i'd say 10" maybe a bit more ?
Didn't have stones mind.

This is how far it is as of now ..
Started this morning with half the frame in place. The whole thing has been erected with nothing permanent in mind

By that I hope I don't mean it will fall over lol :D

Still work to do but the main frame is up now
Changed the size of the feet as now using 4x4 posts, so their size and weight must help?