DIY re-furb alloys

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
OK I have no equipment only a strong right hand:eek:
Anyone got any suggestions about re-furbing alloys?

I have got a few quotes and it would be cheaper to buy a new set!! (they are split rims)

Basically the paint in the centre of the spokes is lifting/bubbling
Advice please:D

Renowheel in Bridgend are brilliant, but not cheap. The results will be outstanding, however.

DIY refurb on alloys is a long tedious process. Its why companies charge loadsa money. Many hours = many £sss.
The flip side of this is that a DIY refurb will be very cheap.
You need to get Chris a complete metal removing AND metal polishing kit of parts.(for Xmas???) Taking split rims apart is a real slow job. Nice new stainless bolts will set the job off nicely.
The centres will need stripping and respraying

Yeh just remove the rims yourself. Then take them to Griffs reality works in Bristol (hard place to find) and they'll do the rest (inc powder coating) for you. I dunno if you read the classic bikes mag but it's where they had their Katana wheels done in a lumo orange :) It's a bike restorers really, lots of old Norton bits kicking around last time I visited. My old man had his motorbike wheels done with polished rims, looks very good and if you take the rims off yourself that'll save some money.

Then all you need is new bolts (as pmac says to finish the job properly) and some magic silicone stuff to reseal the rim in place.

Bosh!

Be careful with bead blasting and enamel coatings on alloys, the heat they use to cure the paint can cause problems with the alloy (cracks to bits under a hard knock)
I would strip them down, use paint remover on the centres and buy a polishing kit off ebay for the rims.

:280Z: did my own wheels with not a bad finish will see if i can find a pick of wheel and tools?? i used a metal finishing pad for a grinder it locks onto the mini grinder like the disc would but has a velcro base where you stick nilon pads to it, with different levels of corsness pads avalable very corse to fine, then used metal polish with a polishing mop to buff them up to very shiny:cool: but there is also a good place near me that can do a wheel for about £75 each inc paint and the polishing

martin w

the reason i asked about what make they are is because Compomotive do refurb's.
last time i had some done it cost £950 but i did have 4 new outers and titanium bolts and 4 new centre caps.if you only need the centres done and new bolts ask them for a price but get them to send you a quote by email.

moggy they are Tom's (I think!!)
Yep all I really need is the centres done and new bolts

Thanks everyone for your replies - gives me something to do on the cold winter nights!! But like the
You need to get Chris a complete metal removing AND metal polishing kit of parts.(for Xmas???)
approach:D :rolleyes:

bolts

Hi Suzy Ihave just done my compermotive wheels myself very hard work ,split the wheels first polish the rims ,and have the centers powder coated .new stailess bolt 30 per wheel are nearly £50 per set .i cleaned each bolt head re protected and put them back together .they look good .hope this helps you. Phil . try Liquid Metal Refinement they do all you need to polish your wheels mops polishing kit ,try there web site .

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
Just Hard Work

Hi Guys .Thanks for your kind words !! my new 240 Z V8 will soon be on the road will get those wheels turning . :bow: Regards Phil

Back