Disc skimming...who knew ?...

Graham Palmer

Club Member
Having had enough of annoying shudder on my front discs...which are an upgrade (solid disc) done by the previous owner..(callipers/discs etc)

I looked around for disc skimming services.....I assumed as per back in 'the day' the skimming takes place one 'loose' discs....but I found that 'on car' appears to be the best modern option...

Went along to Imperial Tyres in Swindon who I think use the EBC Pro Cut machine...2 hours later and £90...perfect...

just in case anyone else suffers that annoying shudder...

G

Farmer42

Club Member
Have always skimmed my discs as long as it has enough thickness left on them. I have been lucky in that my FiL has a lathe in his garage being an engineer so have got them done FOC.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Pro cut disc skimming takes me back .
You will probably find that most Peugeot dealerships still have one of there machine’s in there workshop.
Back in the day we used to skim Peugeot 406 brake discs under warranty rather than replace discs

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've driven to an engineering shop, jacked up my VW camper removed the discs and had them skimmed. Then replsced them and driven home. Never had them done in situ though.

I have had wheels balanced in situ. At the time I was told it was better because it balanced the disc too. That was ok as long as the wheel stayed with that disc and not rotated on the studs when removed!