Diff

Fastededdie

Club Member
I have the dreaded knocking sound in my diff. I have a 1974 260Z rhd . So not sure what the model of the diff is. If I could re-condition would be great but if anyone has a spare that is in good condition or an upgrade, would save a lot of time.

Kind Regards and happy new year Eddie

Last edited:
The knocking is more often the mount than the diff itself.
Have you checked the front mount, strap and moustache bar bushes?

Hi yes they are supper tight. When I lifted the car off the ground and moved the wheels side to side there is a small clunking sound not to load. When I go over bumps it is a little different but a knock. Only over bumps straight roads no issues; no whining nothing and it is only on the left rear curb side. Thanks

ps I have put new bushes in.

When I go over bumps it is a little different but a knock. Only over bumps straight roads no issues; no whining nothing and it is only on the left rear curb side.

These symptoms are not characteristic of a differential (internal) problem.

sounds like the datsun clonk as jonbill says . the rear diff mount causes the diff to lift and clonk my car did it so put on a RT mount have a look on the form about the problem .Chris

Also worth checking the rear diff mounting bolts. I’ve often found these the cause of an on/off throttle knock.

Also worth checking the rear diff mounting bolts. I’ve often found these the cause of an on/off throttle knock.
I’d definitely check the rear top two moustache bar nuts are tight.
I had a loud knock form the rear when going on /off the power Both nuts has come loose

I had a similar issue which turned out to be the big front facing bolts of the rear control arms. After tightening them I no longer had any knock, maybe worth a quick check.

Hi thank for your responses . Will go over them again but I also think it is the axle bearings so I am putting new ones in. Should be done on this old classic anyhow. There is movement when the car is on axle stands move the wheel and a fair bit of play. 61 now and scrambling under the car knackers me out lol.

Back