Datsun competition coilover info

240L31

Club Member
Hey,

I am currently trying to get my BC coilovers street legal. My local inspector asks for further info about the original coilovers which (I think) were part of the Datsun competition program.

Anything helps, pictures, catalogue pages, drawings.. especially spring rates were requested.

Can someone help? Thanks a lot :)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I am currently trying to get my BC coilovers street legal. My local inspector asks for further info about the original coilovers which (I think) were part of the Datsun competition program.

Is this for TÜV or a similar regulatory body?

There were quite a few different versions of Nissan Sports/Race Option & Datsun Competition suspension sets for the S30-series Z in period, so it might be best to tread carefully when supplying data to back up a claim for compliance. You'll want to have the best chance of passing, and your BC coilovers are (honestly speaking) quite different to the original Nissan optional items.

I have period Nissan Sports Option E4621/E4622 adjustable platform struts on two of my cars and have the factory-supplied data for them. What format does your inspector need the info presented in?

Leg-1.jpgLeg-2.jpg

240L31

Club Member
@Albrecht Thanks a lot, I was hoping for you chiming in. I have to pass the TÜV.
Do you have any info about actual spring rates?

It is not that I have to prove 1:1 compliance, it is just required to back up that a) coilovers were available and b) they were also supplied by factory.
In my experience it helps to supply more rather then less documents, even if they are not directly applicable.

240L31

Club Member
The Datsun competition cataloge only lists a "rally adjustable suspension" which raises the ride height. Was there also a more track focused (lowering) coilover solution available?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The Datsun competition cataloge only lists a "rally adjustable suspension" which raises the ride height. Was there also a more track focused (lowering) coilover solution available?

The (1976) Datsun Competition USA catalogue lists THREE factory suspension sets for the S30-series Z:

E7213 'Factory Racing Suspension Kit (Hydraulic)
E4621 'Factory Adjustable Racing Suspension (Gas-Filled)
E7220 'Factory Rally Suspension Kit (Gas-Filled)

The E7213 had fixed platforms whilst the E4621 and E7220 had adjustable platforms. All three used full size (stock diameter) springs.

Unfortunately for your TUV compliance, they are quite different than your BC coilovers, which are welded-on conversions using smaller diameter (2.5 inch?) springs. They are noticeably different. I don't know how you would get round that.

The other problem is that the Factory Sports/Race option suspension kits quite clearly stated on their packaging, and on the struts themselves (with big caveat stickers) 'For Off Road Use Only'.

p14.jpgp15.jpg

Paul Atkinson

Club Member
I have a spare set of 266 & 306 springs that came with the car. According to previous thread data sheet, these could be for rally spec. My car is fitted with adjustable struts from racing days. Can these springs be used with standard dampers to give a firmer ride than standard springs currently fitted?