cracked dash

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
i have discovered a tiny crack in my dash, is there a way to stop it from cracking ? or is this just the beginning of the end for my dash?

i have discovered a tiny crack in my dash, is there a way to stop it from cracking ? or is this just the beginning of the end for my dash?

I wouldnt worry about it if it is tiny. Try and find some black 2 pack epoxy adhesive and put some in the crack. It will be years before it gets any worse.;)
Nearly all the US californian 240Zs come with cracked dashes.
Buying a full dash cap from the US and fitting it PROPERLY does make a very good job and not detectable to the average viewer.. IMO

well, ill keep an eye on the crack but i was so happy i had an uncracked one and now i discovered this while cleaning it :(
maybe that dash cap is interesting, cause i dont want a piece of carpet lying on my dash to hide cracks..

As Pete says, but when you apply the epoxy you will have a few mins until it sets, when it is tacky get some blue tack or putty, press it onto an uncracked area, this will leave a dimple impression on the putty, use that to then dimple the epoxy, then when dry you can colour it......worked a treat and is much much cheaper than buying dashboard repair kits from Halfrauds;)

But I can advise you that very shortly, there will be a european supply of complete f/g dashboards !

Remove your cracked (and heavy) item and replace with a complete unit, ready to cut out (gauge, ventilation and glove-box) holes as the owner requires.

Mounting as per the original unit OR using a lightweight frame behind.

I'd imagine that they'll be less expensive ;) than a dash-cap once postage and (in unlucky cases) customs have been paid.

Continental euro enquires to me via email please.

But will they be the same shape/style/look etc as an original? If so, would probably be interested!

I've just spent weeks trying to restore the cracks in our dash (huge, 1 inch wide buggers!!) and am struggling to get a lovely finish!

Finally got this far:

20111130_133322.jpg

but need to smooth out the texture to even, and then top coat.. It's just not fun!!!!

So Aceman are you 'allowed' to spray your dash in that kitchen? Seems to be 'coming on' ok. :thumbs:

"But will they be the same shape/style/look etc as an original? If so, would probably be interested!"

Absolutely no point doing them otherwise my friend. In fact for techincal/production reasons, they need to made smooth (which some may like) - I invite you to look at the two photos and video :

LM Story : A bord de la Datsun 240 Z

HOWEVER.......I think Throttleton has the answer for the 'original-look', it remains how we apply said solution.

Attachments

• 100_1789.JPG
    100_1789.JPG
    465.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_1815.JPG
    100_1815.JPG
    470.6 KB · Views: 20
So Aceman are you 'allowed' to spray your dash in that kitchen? Seems to be 'coming on' ok. :thumbs:

Yep. Sprayed it in the kitchen. Got everywhere - covered the surfaces & floor, and filled every nook and cranny!

Absolute nightmare to clean up I tell you!!

And yeah, it's progressing (!) well, just annoying the wife tried to fix it first, and after ruining it I've had to strip it bare and start rubbing and filling it all over again!

Same kitchen floor:

18082011165.jpg

18082011167.jpg

3M panel bond in the craks, drill a hole at each end, plas pak primer then impa texterd bumper paint!!!!!!! job done. looks the part.

Back