cold ,wet and damp

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
whats best for winter storage of one's Zed.i have been thinking about a Carcoon or Airchamber but i dont know any one who has used them or if there is something just as goood or better?
any ideas?

Good friend of mine has a couple of Carcoons.

If you have space for them ( which I know you have moggy ), and a power supply to run one on ( which you also have ), then I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. As long as you don't set it to dry the car out TOO much, that is.

I'm jealous.

a good mate of mine bought a "car bag" and he set it too dry and all the rubbers perrished and cracked....... look into it properly before you buy.

Or line the garage walls and ceiling with insulating boards and run a dehumidifier.

keep the ideas coming.......................

might get a price for a decent dehumidifier as it would keep every thing dry in my garage.priced an Airchamber up at £470.00

ive been told you should put a cup of water inside the " bag" to stop everything drying out! JUST MAKE SURE YOU CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY, IE IS THERE A GAURANTEE? datsun rubbers are expensive , i should know ive set fire to shed loads of new ones!

with NO Vat to pay

Any company buying and selling VAT-eligible goods with a turn-over that makes a living wage will be VAT registered. The ploy is to set a discount sale price including VAT which is the same as the full retail price excluding VAT, then claim "No VAT". I'm sure this would be illegal if subjected to scrutiny by a rigorous VAT inspector. The slight twist is "We pay your VAT!" used by main dealer car showrooms on occasion.

You may be getting a good deal, but any legitimate company still has to ultimately balance VAT on sales against VAT on purchases and pay the taxman his bit.

As a regular attender at Machine Mart discount days I was well aware of that.
I hadnt got time for a full explanation.
It was all fully documented in their promotional leaflet at the show.
Bottom line was that it was a good price for an excellent product.
Look in current Practical Classics for a comparison of wots available.

I have built a cheapo wooden garage with plenty of ventilation ( ie holes) and airflow in it. I also leave a large fluorescent striplight in there on permanently. Car and everything in the garage stays bone dry even in damp wet & frosty weather. Contrast this with my parents brick built garage that had my z wet with condensation within a couple of days.

If you have no garage,the key to keeping it dry is

1) Cover it up
2) airflow around the car
3) Uncover it and let it dry out on days when the weather is good

FWIW

Andrew

You know the VAT issue is a pet hate of mine....I don't want to pay any more tax than the rest of the world, but the government makes me an unpaid tax collector as a privilege of being a moderately successful business-man. It then really gets me going when a reputable company suggest that they can "somehow" avoid your tax liability for you. I fully appreciate the world of the "cash deal", but when you buy from legitimate sources and import goods properly through customs, this is not an option.

If I give, say 15% discount on a part, I'm giving you a good deal AND saving you some of the VAT you would have paid at retail prices, but I'm not saving you the whole VAT amount even though that level of discount is the equivalent of the VAT in real money terms!

Originally posted by Mr.F
You know the VAT issue is a pet hate of mine....!

Move into the 2nd hand market.
Global vat ? Don’t ask me how it works tho.
No vat on 2nd hand bits.
But then you can’t claim it either on them!

OOPS! All I was trying to say was that IF anyone had gone to the NEC show they could have had a jolly good deal on a Carcoon. paid less than normal and saved on carriage too by taking it away with them.
Lets just forget that I mentioned that V** word , its been a long week.

I asked about this a couple of months ago and ended up going to a company called PJ Covers in Devon, (Ithink I found then in the links section). I got a very good waterproof cover for around £60plus p&p it has a soft inner lining & I use it on my Capri. I shall be sending for another one in a few days for my Z.
I pinged several companies asking for sample matertial & prices. This one came straight back to me with both, the price was considerably cheaper than others which appeared very similarand in some cases £100+ more expensive.
I've just dug out the leaflet and it is described as waterproof fabric , tough outer layer with soft antiscratch inner lining, elasticated ends & side eyelets, waterproof utility storage bag,

I think it does what it says on the leaflet and is top value for money . Tel ; 01626-775091 ping . www.pj-covers.co.uk

Back