Club Race Car

baddog

Forum User
I just got my copy of the August '04 magazine and wanted to add a small story that didn't make it into the article. Back in 2002 the Z Car Club of New England began a club effort to build a race car for use at autocross (solo 2) and time trial track events. We had hoped to have it ready to run at the '04 convention track day but we became a little overwhelmed planning and hosting the convention itself to finish it in time. We managed to get it running but that's a long way from taking it out on the track. The best we could do was park it outside the convention hotel along side the two Sharp/Newman race cars.

In the spring of '04 we took the car out for its' first track event, a solo 2 day with a group of miatas. Between two drivers we did over 16 runs with no problems and were competitive.

The next event was a time trial at the New Hampshire International Speedway (NHIS) were we again split driving time. Our race groups included Lotus Europas, Factory 5 Cobras, a 390 Shelby Mustang, M3s, 320-series BMWs, Golfs, etc. To say the least we were out-gunned by many but held our ground with a few. We have since run the car 5 more times at solo 2 and time trials before the season ended. We had no breakdowns or problems at all during each of the six 25 minute sessions that day. Which, when one considers that this car was build on an every other Saturday morning schedule over 16 months is quite a feat. Many of the club members had never done any repair or mechanical work before either, which made going down the straights at 185-200 kph something of a dare in itself.

The car itself is 1972 240 which most likely would been sent off to be crushed if the club car idea didn't hit us. Most of the car is made up of spare parts donated by club members, with the exception of the new shocks, springs, and seatbelts, the shop built fuel cell, and the mega-squirt fuel management system.

We have been promoting the idea/concept of a "Club Car" run-off to take place in 2007 or 2008 at the ZCCA convention and wanted to share our experiences with our Z brothers in arms across the Atlantic.

Pictures of our efforts can be found at: www.zccne.org just scroll down to the club race car link on the home page.

Regards from New England

Nicely documented and photographed build up, the engine spec looks like it should perform well, do you have any performance data and how are you finding that megasquirt system.

Certainly is a car for the club to be proud of

Great idea having a shared 'club' car ! Wait a bit and see if it doesn't happen over here ! Fun circuit days only though, to keep the costs down !

Club Car

Thanks for the nice comments. As to performance the engine has been dyno'd with 185rwhp and we hope to get another15 to 20 with some tuning and head work this winter. The megasquirt is working great and several club members have installed it as a result.

The club car is used for solo 2 and non-wheel to wheel events (no SCCA track races). Our policy is simple; "you break it, you pay for it" . Only members who have donated a minimum of $500. can drive the car on the race track. Those who donate time or money (at a lower level) get to use the car at autocross events. For all events the drivers split the cost of transportation to and from the event, fuel that is consumed,and put money in for things like oil, filters, etc. Each track driver is required to have their own set of tires. A set of AX tires are purchased by the club for the season.

We have used it to settle the age old question of who's faster. No more whining that so and so's car has more HP or a better suspension. Autocross in the morning in your own Z, then 2 runs each in the club car, fastest time wins bragging rights until the next event.

That's me behind the wheel trying very hard to hold off the menacing BMW....

i have been looking at your pictures,very nice,i like the colours on the car it works very well.do you have an idea of total cost to have it race ready.

Club Car

The livery is of course "borrowed" from the 1970's Sharp/Newman C-Production SCCA cars. As to costs, let me think on that one a day or two and talk it over with my partners in crime. We may not like the answer, or let me restate that, our wives may not like the answer.

Yeh its a great idea, maybe we'll see the same in a few years time here? Lets hope so.

Club Car Costs

Well, we talked it over and here's what we came up with. Please excuse the long intro.

For starters we were very lucky as I had purchased two 240s rolling cars and 2 pickup truck beds worth of parts for $1,200. The parts included fiberglass fenders, a hood and numerous other useable parts. I also purchased two more 240s for less than $600. that had parts like an uncracked dash and many unrusted body panel parts. Then I bought a non-running 240 that showed up with a stuffed interior that included a roll cage, two racing seats, a racing steering wheel and the usual other running stock running gear. This car I turned into my aftermarket gnose and transplanted my engine from the car I had crashed.

We took one of the first two 240s and various running gear from the other cars and with the addition of just the following parts began the construction of our club race car:

1) seat belts - $360.
2) new seat - $120.
3) springs/coil-overs - $400.
4) shocks - $300.
5) engine rebuild w/megasquirt - $1,200.
6) fuel cell - $500.
7) misc. - $400.

A little over $3,000. If you added in the different items we had on hand that someone else had to purchase (bushings, brake pads/shoes, ball joints, roll cage, etc.) it would have cost us another $2,000. maximum.

We also purchased a trailer for $1,000. and spent another $500. replacing the tires and making it easier to use. Which bring me to a small but important issue. Where will the race car reside between races and between seasons? And who has ownership and registers/insures the trailer? Plus where will the car be during the construction stage?

So the rather long answer is somewhere between $5,000 and $6,000. dollars. in parts and outside services.

This year we expect to have expenses in the $1,000-$2,00 range for a rebuilt 5-spd, new clutch, a day of suspension work and tuning, a dyno tune-up day, and the usual expendables. This will be split either 3 or 4 ways. We will do about 8-10 full track days and about 6 autocross events. The car will be at NHIS(3 times), Mosport, Watkins Glen (twice), and Limerock.

I hope this helps you in deciding if a club race car is a real possibility.....

thanks for the reply but i can not really see something like that happening over here as we are small club compared to yourselves and i dont think we would have the enough people who would what to do something like that as everything always comes down to the money in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Club Car

Looking over your gallery pics I didn't see that you'd need to learn anything about doing up a race car. Nice work and nice cars. The thing to remember about the costs is that they are split 3 ways in our case and took place over a 16-18 month period. That works out to about $100/month per driver. I've been known to waste that much in a week on stupid things like food and the electric bill. Five driver/owners and the costs would be very doable.

Think of it as a long term project where club members learn new skills and some members become life long friends. The car itself is a wonderful added surprise waiting to be driven and enjoyed.

And I realize this may be the devil speaking but you don't have to build a Z race car. Get something that can be easily obtained, that parts are available at low cost, and is fun to drive.

thanks for the compliment.
well you never know ,i had been approached by a Track car organiser about having one of my cars as something a bit different for people wanting to learn about track driving in, rather than a more modern car but nothing has happened with that at the moment.i have nearly got all the parts i need to build one but i just dont have the time or money at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back