Cheap S13 FS5W71C gearbox

That’s a good find JB! You have to refurb these boxes anyway so replacing second is surely not that hard? That’s the cheapest S13 I’ve ever seen and pretty sure he would take an offer.

I’m not sure I’d agree with “have to refurb”. Surely that depends on the box. You certainly need to inspect them, which is easy given you take them apart as part of the process, but that doesn’t necessarily mean work is needed. Case in point - the S14a box I have in my red Z - didn’t need anything doing to it and was in excellent condition.

I’m not sure I’d agree with “have to refurb”. Surely that depends on the box. You certainly need to inspect them, which is easy given you take them apart as part of the process, but that doesn’t necessarily mean work is needed. Case in point - the S14a box I have in my red Z - didn’t need anything doing to it and was in excellent condition.

My feelings too. I would rather leave gearboxes alone. It's a gamble but once you start dismantling them the cost increases and the settings are disturbed. I suppose that's true of most things.

My once you start dismantling them the cost increases.

And cars too!!!! ;) Case in point, my current ballooning project [emoji1787]

On this one though - can it be that hard to replace synchro on 2nd and the bearings? So a reasonable offer below asking price seems like a good little project for someone mechanically capable IMHO, no?

And cars too!!!! ;) Case in point, my current ballooning project [emoji1787]

On this one though - can it be that hard to replace synchro on 2nd and the bearings? So a reasonable offer below asking price seems like a good little project for someone mechanically capable IMHO, no?

Yes of course, a gbox with known wear has to be taken apart and it may end up a good investment as you say.

Is this a direct fit for the S30?
no, shorten propshaft, modify gearbox mount, swap and machine S30 bellhousing.
from memory, the machining is to accommodate a bigger input bearing and one of the 3 selector shafts is bigger too.

Also needs the speedo drive from the Z installing, which needs a slight mod as the tab that locks it in place is 180deg different from the Z box.

There’s a full write up on zhome.

I bought a modified mount off PMAC for under £10!!! Those were the days!

But pre-made ones are available from Kameari I think and Tencho Toys Tuning - again, I think.

This is the link Richie refers to ...

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm

Bear in mind prop shaft lengths are different between S30 models and always best measured and measured again rather than going with how much someone else took off.

Back