Change to SORN'd Vechicles

moonraker_tom

Well-Known Forum User
Just been chatting with my insurance broker, and he mentioned there is new legislation coming into effect Feb? 2011.
He advised that if you have a vechicle SORN'd from then onwards, you will have to pay insurance premium :(

I have also spoken to DVLA who had little detail, however they confirm a change to SORN legislation early 2011, & cars will have to be SORN'd and declared uninsured (currently SORN'd vechicles are regarded as unlicensed).

Anybody got any info on this?? :confused:

Your broker obviously has a vested interest in having sorn'd cars insured. As for having to declare nil insurance, I would have thought the national data base would cover that. Can't see the DOT insisting on insuring a "work in progress" car for instance. Also my understanding is that if a vehicle is off the public road ie, on a private drive, it is not covered by insurance anyway.

Last week when at my Dad's I read his Classic Car Weekly. There was a mention of the SORN process but I don't think it covered insurance requirements, I think it related to an automated system to prevent you from forgetting and then getting 'done'

I SORN my car each winter but it's on a 12 month Classic Car Policy so I'm ok. I can't really see how the DVLA could insist on insurance for a wreck in your back garden (or a RHD bulkhead).

I'll do a bit of searching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upcoming transport legislation:

Continuous Enforcement of Motor Insurance – The DFT has published a consultation on plans to use the DVLA’s vehicles register and the Motor Insurance Database (MID) held by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau to warn and then penalise (fixed penalty of £100, immobilisation and eventually disposal) vehicle keepers who fail to hold valid insurance. Enabling legislation is already in place in the 2006 Road Safety Act and implementation is expected from autumn 2010.

The path is open to impose this on SORN'd vehicles, restoration projects, barn stores etc. i.e. if you are the registered keeper, you will be responsible for insuring the vehicle regardless of its situation. On my trade insurance, the MIB (the bureau that collates vehicle ownership for the National Database) already requires listing of all vehicles in my possession for more than two weeks (not necessarily in use) and I am therefore covered for damage / loss on those in store. A motor trader with a forecourt of immobile vehicles already has to list anything not sold within two weeks. We need to keep an eye on whether this proposed legislation becomes reality as it quietly slips in through the back door of Parliament.

The next step will be storage / SORN taxation. All Governments want to "bag and tag" all motoring related events to maximise income.

Any ideas how this will impact pre SORN cars. Mine was removed from the road before the SORN legislation was introduced. I must get it finished.............

If this is the case, thank God my next project does not exist as far as DVLA are concerned. Though I better look into this to see where I stand, as there is always nearly a hoop to jump/crawl/grovel through.

As far as I understand it, current legislation says that cars taken off the road and last taxed before 31 January 1998 do not require a SORN application.

But - watch this space!

There is also the question of whether your registration document and issued registration number will still be valid / in existence when your project is finished. You may end up aving to re-register the car and get a new reg number...

Moral - don't take more than 12 years to finish your restoration...:p

Last week when at my Dad's I read his Classic Car Weekly. There was a mention of the SORN process but I don't think it covered insurance requirements, I think it related to an automated system to prevent you from forgetting and then getting 'done'

I'll do a bit of searching.

Ok this is what was covered in the Classic 'rag' AutoSorn.com: Home

From what I can gather it's not easy to scrap a vehicle either, you need a certificate to do that. :rolleyes:

Not sure how our friend with the angle grinder goes on. :unsure:

I get the drift that we know little about this proposed legislation, even the DVLA; other than what is current.

I have a dropped a mail to my local MP & Houses of Parliament to get clarification; as and when I get a response I will post.

They will probably make a decission at their Christmas party :lol:lets hope its not in a brewery :eek:

Ok this is what was covered in the Classic 'rag' AutoSorn.com: Home

From what I can gather it's not easy to scrap a vehicle either, you need a certificate to do that. :rolleyes:

Not sure how our friend with the angle grinder goes on. :unsure:

Rob its a can of worms scrapping a car, i just bought a car for the engine filled in the left side of the v5 for the previouse keeper so he could send it off presuming that i would recieve a new v5, not the case instead dvla sent me a letter telling me that the car was an insurance write off and needed a vic check (vehicle identity check) at a cost of £45 then they would issue a v5 i my intensions were to scrap the car anyway but as you say certificate needed unless you tick the box'' scrapped by yourself'' on the v5

As far as I understand it, current legislation says that cars taken off the road and last taxed before 31 January 1998 do not require a SORN application.

But - watch this space!

There is also the question of whether your registration document and issued registration number will still be valid / in existence when your project is finished. You may end up aving to re-register the car and get a new reg number...

Moral - don't take more than 12 years to finish your restoration...:p

Yeh point taken.....:rolleyes:] Lucky I got a new V5 for it.

Back