carb and fuel questions

surreyseagull

Well-Known Forum User
hi all..got the 260z running quite nicely now.and after about 13 years its great to hear her ticking into life.
just a couple of questions though.
i replaced the 260z carbs with these that i bought off ebay about a year ago.off if i remember ad a 240z.
problem is is there something missing?.choke linkage?.if not how do the choke cables connect up??.
we are running it without any choke at momment which obviously is a bugger to start when cold.
also the fuel bowl next to carbs has 2 pipes each..one for fuel in..where do other 2 connect to?.do they connect together as a sort of fuel overflow??.
one final question what would be the best type of filters to fit to these carbs..cheers all

Attachments

• DSC02597.JPG
    DSC02597.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
they look like proper SU carbs and not the Hitachi type that a 240z should have

yes im not sure to be honest as i just bought the manifold with the carbs on.ive noticed that compared to the 260z carbs they are a lot simpler and i had loads of hoses comeing out of 260 carbs which now apear to go nowhere??

Well they don't look like SUs to me, but that's just my opinion. The second pipe might be a vent. I was looking at some SUs at the weekend fitted on to Jags and they had a vent from the top of the float chamber, mine don't have one though.

Have a look at this:

http://www.jcna.com/library/tech/tech0006.html

Do you have the standard filter case with the car, that should fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. They are SU carbs. There may still be an ID tag somewhere with a part number to help identify more accurately - H6 or HS6, 1.75" at a guess.

2. The vent pipe would normally be directed back into the air filter casing so that any overflow is drawn back into the engine.

3. K & N filters are available for these. An original 240Z or 260Z airbox could probably be modified to suit. The latter has better availability on stock filter elements.

4. Several 260Z water hose connectors and that balance pipe with the big screw valve are all now redundant.

cheers mr f..yes they are 1 and 3/4.id like to get k and n filters as i think the origanal 240/260 airbox looks a bit ugly..any ideas on the choke??

Air filter

Hi , I have an original air filter box and air filter if you need one . pm me if you are interested .

Regards
Phil :driving:

K & N supply no problem - just call.

Not sure about the choke arrangements for these.

between your throttle rod that links your carbs together and the intake face of the carbs you will see 2 nuts similar those on the throttle spindles. use a similar arrangement to the throttle to couple the carbs together. then take choke cable to ferrule at side of 1 carb to locate outer cable and a solderless nipple on inner cable to pull choke lever up.
look like triumph 2500 S carbs
failing that look at an MGB, SORRY I WILL WASH MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP AND WATER AT THE MENTION OF SAID VEHICLE
CHEERS
BRIAN

is there something missing?.choke linkage?.if not how do the choke cables connect up??.

Like this I would say
You can see the pinch bolt n lock nut dangling in the breeze on yours

71_2010112917005231126_41727604007008_1291949501.jpg

ahhh thats giving me a better view.i looked at that section this morning.im assuming the choke cable goes into hole and is locked??on mine what should be a pinch nut and lock nut is just a normal bolt with two small hex nuts on..i thought it wrapped around the nut..obviously i need proper pinch bolt and lock nut??

ahhh thats giving me a better view.i looked at that section this morning.im assuming the choke cable goes into hole and is locked??on mine what should be a pinch nut and lock nut is just a normal bolt with two small hex nuts on..i thought it wrapped around the nut..obviously i need proper pinch bolt and lock nut??

yes, or tempo fix use a couple of larger washers to trap the cable as you do the nut n bolt up.
Or drill a small hole in both bolts, or rob this from some poor kiddies push bike :D

images

Back