with 2and a half months m.o.t. tax till end of month.mileage 89.000. i
bought the car from london a month ago cost me £1300 .engine's burning a
bit of oil but nothing too drastic. back seats have gone to make way for an
lpg conversion {cost £1200} economy is excellent. bodywork needs completely
respraying. some welding mainly dotted around holes {the usual} and sills
probably need replacing. apart from the awfull sprayjob someone has done
{it;s that thick it's protecting the panel's underneath}the car look's and
drive's well. if anyone could advise me on what sort of price i should ask
for my car i would be most gratefull as i want to sell it and eventually get a better one. thanks c.s.kirk

ard to tell the value of your car ! Never mind the conversion (that was some investment - who did it ?) - it's the quality of the body-work that rules the price and you have rust :(

Specify just how deep that goes and it would be easier to tell ! More photos of the conversion and gas tank would be very useful (and interesting) too. Since this is THE site for these cars, here would be a good place to expose your car !

As Sean says "More photos of the conversion and gas tank would be very useful (and interesting) too."
Sure Steve Kiddell our editor would be interested in a write up and some photos

hello. i have put some pictures of the conversion on the gallery but they may take some time to clear. if you would like too see more please ask me i would be more than pleased too. thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
hello. sorry i should have explained it better. it's an 80ltr black cylinder that fit's nicely were the back seat's used to be.it's quite a size but has been boxed in so you can't see it. i have some picture's on my gallery if you would like too see it. the fire extinguisher has been screwed onto the box. the fuel economy is somethig else. if you would like more info or pictures i would gladly put some more on. thank's c.s.kirk

Ok, assuming it's a top job (who did it btw ?), at £1200, even with good fuel economy and cheaper fuel, you're gonna have to drive a LOT of extra miles to get your money back and then some to justify losing two seats - no ? I've owned an LPG car and normally one has to drive at least 40,000 miles per year for several years to come out a winner. You've done this to a classic car which most people would expect to drive no more than 10,000 miles tops !

Why did you do it ? Was it an engineering exercise, a project....publicity ?

I'm not knocking here, just very curious :)

hi. the car was already converted by a garage in kensington when i bought it.he explained a little about how it was done but didn't explain why. i suppose he had a bit of foresight for rising fuel price's or was a complete enviromentalist. your right it is an extreme thing to do too a classic car your hardly going to drive. but i would say maybe to him his reason's far outweighed the cost. i guess we'll never know. and thank's for your view. c.s.kirk

Is the gas conversion recent? Im sure I did some work on this car when it was in Leominster 4/5 years ago. It was on a farm converted to a classic car yard and the owner converted everything to gas, and it had a crap paint job too. I think it turned up in the Birmingham area last year. With 14 previous owners its been about a fair bit. Adrian

hello. well it definetly sound's like mine the crap paint job gave it away. but in all fairness it's still on there. so the conversion's been on a while then wonder why i was told otherwise. the car's history can be traced back too 1996 were it was on ackhill farm in leominster he sold it to the previouse owner's mother who live's in london in 2002 she then sold it too her son in 2003 and has been driven around london for the last 4yrs.not sure were leominster is sorry. if you would like to know name's of garages that carried out work on the car ill put them on . please could you tell me what work you did on the car {wasn't the sprayjob was it} id'e be interested to know. thank's c.s.kirk

Leominster is up near Hereford and Malvern. The guy who had the workshops sprayed it and did the gas conversion. I went up there to sort an electrical problem, the headlamps were not working. The farm guy had checked the fault and could not find it so the owner rang me and I went to sort it. First thing I checked was the switch, it was faulty, fitted another switch problem solved. There was a stripped early 260 shell there as well so I took the very good doors off of it in lieu of travelling labour and parts, I had a good deal there as I needed the doors for my own 240.Perhaps it ws 6 or 7 years ago then I did the job if the car was there in 96. Adrian

Back