Californian "import" (unwanted passenger)

richiep

Club Member
So, just been sorting out the chaos in my garage so I have room to build the kids' outdoor 'potion table' they are having for Xmas. Half my garage is strewn with boxes of parts and pieces such as the door shells and wings off my project car - not ideal working conditions. So, I started adding some hooks to hang the wings and doors from the rafters out the way. As I hung the second wing, with the inside facing towards me, I took a step back once hung and looking straight ahead came face-to-face with a previously unencountered passenger from California - a live black widow spider. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Didn't get a photo as I was too focussed on not bricking myself and containing the beastie without the possibility of escape. Thankfully a lack of mercy and a can of spray glue combined to ensure the little sh1t wasn't going anywhere. :devil:

Thankfully, it looks like it was a male as it had a white rather than red hourglass marking on its back, so less poisonous. But it does highlight something that needs considering with imports, especially those at the scruffy end that have been out in the desert for extended periods - they might have wildlife on board that needs carefully approaching! When that wing was on the car, I'd had my head in the wheel arch when trying to remove the headlight inches away from the web. Next time I'm working on the shell, it'll be getting a hoovering and blow-out...

SacCyclone

Club Member
Lots of black widows I have found in Cali cars that have been sitting a while.

Watch for the webs as a first sign of impending doom, they like to hide behind them. Also watch for white web sacks attached to the web as these are the nurseries for their young.

At first sign of danger, I use a fogger which work very well. Tarp the car and open 2 under and 1 inside the car. After an hour or so, look under the car for hanging widows as they tend to expel their last web to the ground.

Fun stuff.

richiep

Club Member
Yep, it was behind the web as you describe Mike. I also found two desiccated egg sacks under the other wing, so it’s had other occupants in the past.

As for false widows, it was larger than any I’ve seen before and being on a Cali car would be a bit of coincidence! It did look like a female though (all shiny black) apart from white instead of red markings, so it may have been some other form of widow. Still, wasn’t about to catch it to engage in any form of study!

chris frizzell

Club Member
spider

had the same problem got a 280z in Feb this year . mega giddy to have a project so started to strip.at the weekend so started with the front brakes first caliper came off with ease so a gave it to my son to do a clean up .then started on the off side there was some egg sack but didnt think it was a problem . caliper bolts where seized so got some heat on them to remove this worked we .knocked the caliper off and had a good look at it only to see a female widows ass looking up at me .dropped it in a nano second and told my son who said bullsh1t.after seeing the look on my face knew i was not joking . blasted with brake cleaner and put in a empty coffee jar phone RSPCA who had me down as a nutter but after a time they said they will come out 2.30 hours later the guy arrived .then this bloke started to open the jar i may have said some anglo saxon word so he gave my a donation slip put the spider on the front seat of his van and left. ps we did get a picture of me the spider and the man chris . my son still not keen on working on the car but no more live spider but load off dead recluse spider and widow egg sacks .they dont like brake cleaner in flamethrougher mod

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Yep, it was behind the web as you describe Mike. I also found two desiccated egg sacks under the other wing, so it’s had other occupants in the past.

As for false widows, it was larger than any I’ve seen before and being on a Cali car would be a bit of coincidence! It did look like a female though (all shiny black) apart from white instead of red markings, so it may have been some other form of widow. Still, wasn’t about to catch it to engage in any form of study!

Think you better go and check the rest of the car left in the barn :eek: