Buying from the states

Wyn

Club Member
What’s the score if buying 2nd hand Z parts from the states

Lots of questions but I haven’t got a clue, plus I’ve never brought stuff from abroad so please bear with me here.

I’ve read before that if an item is $100 there - it will end up costing me £100 by the time I see it? I.e. the $100 plus post will end up costing me £100. So where does the duty/tax come into it and how/who do I pay for that. Is it worked out on the value ot the bumper?
How do you even pay for the stuff? I take it they wont accept a personal cheque from over here?

If I paid for something today - how long on average should it take to get here?

ta :)

Whenever I have bought stuff from the states it has been desperately easy - the US price converted into Sterling plus delivery.

When it has been delivered to my house it has sometimes been accompanied by the bill for duty etc - the haulage company sorts this out, I just paid the bill.

Not something that should cause you to lose sleep - the quicker you want stuff the more the haulage costs, if you can wait you can keep the cost down.

You may be charged Vat and duty over and above anything that has a value in excess of £35 (or there abouts) the old "gift" written on the package trick can work though.

I bought a set of triple 40's from US and got stung £90 duty, the freight company wouldn’t deliver unless I paid.

I phoned customs and excise to explain that they were used parts and got told that even though the parts were second hand they have an inherent value that needs to be reconciled in the UK via Vat and duty.

As the parts were worth a considerable sum the sender needed to insure them and not apply the "Gift" trick

Cheers
So if I buy something upto the value of £35 ($50?) - I can’t be had to pay anything else apart from postage on top?

Btw, What/who decides the items value? Is it worked out on what is on the receipt?
Can the seller not put a receipt in the packaging for a lower amount?
Makes no odds to them?
err.gif

Originally posted by SKiddell
I bought a set of triple 40's from US and got stung £90 duty, the freight company wouldn’t deliver unless I paid.

Forgot to ask, did they work out much cheaper then buying a set from over here?

Originally posted by 900ss
Cheers
So if I buy something upto the value of £35 ($50?) - I can’t be had to pay anything else apart from postage on top?

Btw, What/who decides the items value? Is it worked out on what is on the receipt?
Can the seller not put a receipt in the packaging for a lower amount?
Makes no odds to them?
err.gif

Wyn

I believe the value limit of the goods is £18 (about $30 or so)
although this doubles to £36 ( about $60) if the gift box is checked by the sender. If you buy some thing less than £18 you only get charged the postage on top. If you do go over the limit, you get charged vat and duty on the value PLUS the postage plus a Customs fee of £5 or so for them to do the duty calculation.

The sender has to declare a value on the goods when they are sent, and this is the value used to calculate the goods.

Makes no odds to the sender as long as they don't mind running the fairly remote risk of being done for duty fraud :( :( . be warned though I know some Americans look very badly on any requests to tick the gift box or show a lower value. As far as they are concerned it is your problem: if you want the goods pay the duty and why should they risk a problem with the authorities to help you. It depends who you buy from. A 'newbie' seller will probably be of no help at all, but someone who knows the system will probably be amenable, might even help you out without even being asked.

In my experience stuff bought from the US can be a lot cheaper than in the UK, but not always. I generally have bought 2nd hand stuff from the US as there is a lot of things available over there that are impossible to find over here.

hope it helps

cheers

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you forewarned of the extra duty bill before arrival?

Usually postie will turn up with the package whihc he will not hand over unless you pay the duty first.

I know a very helpful bloke at the Royal mail in Poole who rings me at work when a package turns up for me, and I go and collect. ( saves them the hassle of trying to deliver during the day when no-one is at home.)

Cheers Andrew
Thanks for the explanation, starting to understand now lol

Shame the limit is so low, after all not a lot you can get for $30
Value limit? I take it that is per item and not combined value (if you purchase more then one item?)
Just one thing still – what’s the best way to actually pay for the goods? And how?

Brought my 'US' spec indicators from states and delivery ended up costing approx 5squid and arrived in 2weeks :D

I recently went to order some new goods worth $81 and they wanted another $80 on top for delivery, needless to say i declined :eek:

Anthony

The other problem with low value parts sent by post is that most companies will have a minimum charge, e.g. for Courtesy Nissan I've seen reports that this may be as much as $40 - there is a cautionary tale on another Z Forum of a member who bought a set of valve caps (about $15 - $20 max), but was charged $40 shipping AND got hit for import duty, VAT and customs clearance fees....

I regularly bring in Z parts from Motorsport Auto and Stillen and get some great deals - a lot of common stuff is in stock here. Doing it properly generally equates to virtually £1.00 = $1.00 and I have to pay my way in the world! However, there will be no nasty shocks - the price I quote you will be the price you pay and often I can get you a good deal on something that you want, but can't afford to ship as a single item. It even pays to order standard repair items from the States if you are prepared to wait a little longer for a convenient shipment. For example, Z32 owners know that a PCV valve in the UK sells for £18.50 + VAT. I can get you the same item over from California, sell it to you for £4.50 + VAT and still make a small profit! Some items will come in at as much as a third of the price of the U.K. list, others may have up to 30% off my already discounted prices. Doesn't work for everything, but always worth calling me to discuss!

I have bought lots of guitars in the states and had them sent with an accompanying "second hand" receipt.

Paid duty on the second hand value.

SSsssshhhhhhh

Cheers Andrew
Thanks for the explanation, starting to understand now lol

Shame the limit is so low, after all not a lot you can get for $30
Value limit? I take it that is per item and not combined value (if you purchase more then one item?)
Just one thing still – what’s the best way to actually pay for the goods? And how?

For buying stuff from the US a paypal account is a must really. (link on ebay site)The best way of paying for goods in dollars without any charges. Be sure the seller will take paypal though.

For USpostal service mail to the UK ( probably the best way to get stuff sent to the UK) there are ususally 2 timescales 1) airmail 7-10 days or 2) surface 4-6 weeks. Surface is obviously a bit cheaper (but not usually by much)

cheers

Andrew

EBAY: I've bought loads of trim, indicators - mostly small, lightweight stuff that is difficult to get hold of over here seond-hand or is very expensive new; Never been stung, never been had by customs or transport companies !
I would recommend sticking to these types of parts and pay promptly and politely so you may ask people to send to Europe and in the main, they check you out and say ok !

Cheers for the replies
Mr F
Out of interest do you sell 2nd hand parts aswell?
You mention some companies may charge $40, but an individual could also charge $10 for the same pp service?

Also where would you stand if you get a bargain from ebay then?

Say you buy a $30 item that would normally have a 2nd value of $60.
Do you still pay duty on the $60?

opps, forgot which country I was in then :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on Ebay, set up a PayPal account and dip your toes in ! Buy cheaply, in order to offset the shipping costs !

Step 1 sorted

The other 2 I’ve yet to sort :)
Before I buy anything tho I want to atleast have half an idea of the possible outcome :eek:

Also waiting for the right part that takes me fancy and that ships worldwide :D

If the seller hasn't listed worldwide shipping, ask them nicely explaining that you'd like to bid ! You'd be surprised !
Try it out when you find your part !

Back