Brighton Speed Trial 2005 - 240Z Runner-up!

Mr.F

Inactive
On Saturday 10th September, Z Club member Phil Hyett (240Z) and I (350Z) took the Z Club to the 100th Anniversary Brighton Speed Trial. We were both entered in the Brighton & Hove Motor Club Handicap Class which gave us one practice and one timed run down the famous Madeira Drive quarter mile.

The great news is that, on handicap results, Phil was awarded a time which made him runner-up in class. The bad news is - he was beaten by a Morris 1000; the other good news is - he has officially beaten the Maclaren Mercedes SLR in competition!. The really bad news is that the over-enthusiastic handicapping placed me 40th in a class of 54!

The handicapping system is hard to come to terms with as basically a small team of (hopefully) knowledgeable guys sit down with the entry list and take an educated guess at it! The Merc was considered to be the "scratch" car along with a very quick Caterham 7 and everything was given a negative factor against that. First place Moggy got a -6.0 second advantage, Phil's 240Z got -4.50 seconds while I got -1.5 seconds. A Dodge Viper entered, for example, got -3.00 seconds!!? The big Merc ran an actual best of 12.10 seconds BTW...borrowed from his Mum for the day was the apocryphal rumour. "Just going down to Brighton with a mate. Mum. Won't be long...".

nice one to both phil and mike. Good to see the Z name being represented well in such company. Now you just need to try drag racing with corners hohohoho. cheers ben

Mike, I bet it was good fun taking part and representing the Marque. You appear to have developed your car a fair bit since I last saw it. Looking at that rear wing you are the original boy-racer!

Back