Brake warning light on constantly

Col-b

Club Member
Hi guys my brake warning light is on constantly. It was previously and now i have upgraded the master cylinder and proportioning valve with Wilwood ones i have take out all the original Datsun switches. The light is not pushed into the socket all the way on the back of the speedo. I tried pushing it in further but the cable seemed to tight. Yes it is in the correct hole not the illumination light. Any idea how to turn it off without just removing the bulb. Does it have to be pushed in all the way to earth it ?

thanks

Col

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
what car? on my 260z, the only brake related light is the one activated by the handbrake switch.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Do you have fluid level sensors on the m/c top caps? If so have u checked they’re working? Try disconnecting them if u have them.

Have u checked the handbrake switch isn’t at fault? Try disconnecting that temporarily

Col-b

Club Member
Hi no fluid levels I've disconnected the handbrake connection and the wire that went on the old Datsun brake level unit

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Sounds like you have a wire going down to earth somewhere, damaged cable perhaps?
Have you checked the brake light warning switch, do you still have it?

Col-b

Club Member
I do have it but its not connected any more. Just thinking if the light socket is not pushed into the speedo may be it needs earthing will check it out tomorrow. I did read somewhere that there was a relay under one of the seats that has to be disconnected ?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
you'll have to look at the wiring diagram and see how the circuit works and what the wire colours are, and start testing.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I do have it but its not connected any more. Just thinking if the light socket is not pushed into the speedo may be it needs earthing will check it out tomorrow. I did read somewhere that there was a relay under one of the seats that has to be disconnected ?

The light has two wires and earths through the handbrake switch at the lever so it doesn't use the body of the speedo as earth.

Col-b

Club Member
Thanks guys will look into it. I guess the wire that was on the fluid level switch just needs taping up as its not used for anything anymore. Can you still use the handbrake warning without the fluid level being used ?

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Thanks guys will look into it. I guess the wire that was on the fluid level switch just needs taping up as its not used for anything anymore. Can you still use the handbrake warning without the fluid level being used ?
Yes.

I reread my previous post where I said brake light warning switch. I meant to say the switch on the little block that tells you if ur brakes are out of balance. Try disconnecting that wire and see if it makes a difference.