Books books books

Russ

Club Member
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books. I'm looking to learn about

Engine building

Small Block Chevy builds:S30:

Suspension/handling etc

Seeing as I know only a little I thought I'd do some reading.

Amazon links would be even better

Cheers

Russ,

The book sold by Jags That Run (JTR) is excellent for background reading, the only caveat being that it talks about american car models we have never seen over here and engines that we (naturally) have very little knowledge of.

What it does do is go into the trials and tribulations of fitting a V8 - it can be done quickly and cheaply or you can go mad and spend a lot of time and money, depending on the result you are looking for.

If you just want to keep a fairly stock car but with lots of grunt it is a cheap and easy process, if you want to make it stop well, handle well and be immaculately behaved it takes a tad more money and effort but no where near as much as you would think. Contrary to popular belief, this conversion does actually work :)

You can find it at www.jagsthatrun.com

PS - the book ONLY talks about the older style NA engines, not the new aluminium ECU controlled ones.

I can thoroughly recommend 'Tuning - New Generation Engines' by A. Graham Bell, ISBN 0-85429-609-3. It covers suspension and brakes also.

It is a very PRACTICAL, easy to read, authorative guide that makes lots of sense. It is a bit old now but a good starting point.

I first saw this book in the local library (worth a try) and then got a copy for myself.

well the three previous posts are almost reviews

any chance fellas of a bit more info on them as they could then be transfered to the review section

Thanks in advance for your help in this

as I've always said
"If you don't ask you people they will never have the chance to tell you to eff off"

"How to Rebuild your SBC" by David Vizard. Published by HP Books ISBN 0-912656-66-2. Absolute bible in the same way that "How to Rebuild your Nissan/Datsun OHC" is.

"How to Hot Rod your SBC" by Bill Fisher and Bob Waar. Also HP Books ISBN 0-912656-06-9.

Both bound to have been significantly updated by now to include new generation engines.

Isn't the Jags That Run book available from our very own Club Shop???

Thanks for your help guys :)

I actually already have the v8 conversion manual, sorry should have mentioned it! And yes it is available through the club shop.

I have added said books by Mr. A Graham Bell to my list, along with one he's done on forced induction :devil: :devil: :devil: Appears not only was he busy inventing the telephone, he was also playing about with petrol :D

Mike: The latest books I could find were

David Vizard - 1991
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1557880298/qid=1108819356/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_8_4/026-9827645-2149200

Bill Fisher and Bob Waar - 1987
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0912656069/qid=1108819837/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/026-9827645-2149200

I don't know how much has changed, little I imagine, and I can get books dedicated to ecus and stuff if I want.

Thanks for your help all, if anyone wishes to write a review I can put the books up in 2 minutes, reviewing a book takes your 3 minutes tops!

Back