BMW328i

andrew muir

Club Member
I have just viewed a E36 1998 328i coupe,
It is in minted nick onl;y a genuine 18,000 drives like new.
Should I buy it at £4000??
Optinions invited:D
Iam still keeping my zed by the way:thumbs:

Got any pictures Andrew?

I think older super clean cars like this are the way to go. Much Less complicated than the newer stuff and could go up in value in the long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is astoundingly low miles - was it an older person'a car?

If genuine, it seems like a good deal. But as others say get some pics up and get us all excited ;)

If it really is mint, it's good value. But if it has just been left and not used much, I bet it will still need loads of suspension bits and vacuum hoses etc to make it really as good as new.

It was an older guy in his late sixties. the body work is honestly minted I had a good look underneath and it all looks like new no signs of any rust all all.
He seems pretty obsessive he even puts an additive in the petrol to combat the ethanol etc. Has full history and has an oil change every year even though it doesn't need it. He has had it for over 15 years. Leather seats cd stacker and air con all working fine, Trip computer shows he was averaging 34.5 mpg!!

Boring,everyone has one,all the cars I see broken down by the roadside is either a merc or bmw,Matt does have a good point though,get herself an Impreza wagon,dead smooth engine,quick,handling is superb,room for yer fishing gear,holds value,rubbish fuel consumption which doesn't matter if you don't do a lot of miles,bottom line,get it if it feels right

Ignoring the above, the e36 was one of the most reliable BMW's made, at the same time as the e39. It'll be worth checking to see if its got a nikasil engine though. They're very modular so easy to work on and fix stuff. The do like to rust from the rear arches though. You can bolt on a 323 inlet manifold for an instant 20bhp, using factory parts.

Its a 1998 car so it shouldn't have the nikasil liners?
Think I am going to go for it, probably not a better one in the country!
Its going to be a daily driver for me and the wife, although we only do 6000 miles a year. So should hold its value if I look after it?

Thanks for all the comments.

Its a 1998 car so it shouldn't have the nikasil liners?
Think I am going to go for it, probably not a better one in the country!
Its going to be a daily driver for me and the wife, although we only do 6000 miles a year. So should hold its value if I look after it?

Thanks for all the comments.

you can easily check, it'd be worth checking.

It was an older guy in his late sixties. the body work is honestly minted I had a good look underneath and it all looks like new no signs of any rust all all.
He seems pretty obsessive he even puts an additive in the petrol to combat the ethanol etc. Has full history and has an oil change every year even though it doesn't need it. He has had it for over 15 years. Leather seats cd stacker and air con all working fine, Trip computer shows he was averaging 34.5 mpg!!

You sure you're not buying from my dad!? ;)

That is exactly him - does a thousand or so miles a year but has the car fastidiously maintained at main dealer!!! Agreed with Franky re. The reliability of that model - many of my mates had them and driving their current new ones they all say that particular range was one of the best built.

I personally think if you feel it's genuine and like it, then at that price why not?

Yes Rob that is the intention, the depreciation of new cars is crazy, so thought I would get a car older but still modern and the BMW 2.8 coupe fits the bill.
Only 18,000 genuine miles!!!
The Mazda was a nice car but it will be 10 years old next year and its getting a bit rough around the edges, it still drives well though. 90,000 miles. Anyone want to buy it? any offer over a £1000 will be accepted, It has the usual rust on the arches but that could be repaired.

Will that replace the Mazda then Andrew?

Yes Rob that is the intention, the depreciation of new cars is crazy, so thought I would get a car older but still modern and the BMW 2.8 coupe fits the bill.
Only 18,000 genuine miles!!!
The Mazda was a nice car but it will be 10 years old next year and its getting a bit rough around the edges, it still drives well though. 90,000 miles. Anyone want to buy it? any offer over a £1000 will be accepted, It has the usual rust on the arches but that could be repaired.

Which Mazda is it?

Back