BHP of my car...surprising to some?

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
Took it to be r-roaded yesterday against the adivce of some, though I always appreciate the advice given here!

It got to 180 BHP which is a gain of 35 from the standard 280c engine I'm told is in it. (145 BHP i think). My car has had no headwork, just the triples I put on it and a good exhaust..all my work was spot on the rolling road master told me...

Banged it on ebay just to see the response. The link is in the classifieds just in case I upset anyone....

Any thoughts?...

Si 'I must be doing something right after all' Adams. xx

If I recall correctly the 280c had a single dual choke carb whereas the 280zx is injected, so your 145 starter bhp seems about right. If your rolling road man is right;) then this is approx 20bhp over the ZX.

Nigel Brook said:
If I recall correctly the 280c had a single dual choke carb whereas the 280zx is injected, so your 145 starter bhp seems about right. If your rolling road man is right;) then this is approx 20bhp over the ZX.

...aye...a rolling road is a rolling road is a rolling road!...it always felt a LOT more pwerful after I put the triples in to be honest and I guessed at 180 and it showed as 179! ...but i did have all my shopping in the back at the time....so I reckon i can steal the one BHP.

Si

BHP gains

I'm certain I'm telling you all how to suck eggs but all the little changes/mods you make add a bit of BHP!

A decatted exhaust allows the engine to breath properly - about 25BHP but don't quote me on it :eek:

A cold air intake gives about another 15 - again d.q.m.o.i :unsure:

Going to triples has obviously added to your overall BHP figure; one trick the scooby owners did was to use millers octane boost increasing the RON to about a hundred - allegedley!

PS. You can't sell it :eek:

qunvat said:
It got to 180 BHP which is a gain of 35 from the standard 280c engine I'm told is in it. (145 BHP i think). My car has had no headwork, just the triples I put on it and a good exhaust

It's all in the head (work) friends !

HOUSEQUAKE said:
I'm certain I'm telling you all how to suck eggs but all the little changes/mods you make add a bit of BHP!

A decatted exhaust allows the engine to breath properly - about 25BHP but don't quote me on it :eek:

Going to triples has obviously added to your overall BHP figure....

145 + 25 + 15 + (triples - 30 ?) = 215.

You can comfortably get 230 bhp from a tripled 2.8 but it needs head-work and to exploit that power, you need to do much more, balancing etc.....

You're 50 bhp down.....and boasting ?

Maybe I'm being hard (sorry) but there is SO much more potentiel there that if you sell her, you'll never appreicate.....and 50 horse more makes ALL the difference !

Simon is happy with his result, what's wrong with that? If your lightbulb pop's you replace it! when it comes back on you feel content.
His car is running better than ever(thanks to hard work gone into getting it sorted) & he needs not 50 BHP more, but some dosh!

& without dosh, you ainch got no nosh
& after he has his nosh.....he'll get another Z thats.... Posh!

DJZ 60.:cool:
I love my Z more than my Mrs:p & if I wanna sell either of em,Thats
my perogrative. (or in this case his).

DJ you is da voice of reason my son.

..I just fancy a change and now is a great time to sell ... I may even buy another z who nose!

Chips.

HOUSEQUAKE said:

You really need to talk about percentage increases, as the same mod on two engines at different levels of tune will have different actual results.

SeanDezart said:
You're 50 bhp down.....and boasting ?

Maybe I'm being hard (sorry) but there is SO much more potentiel there that if you sell her, you'll never appreicate.....and 50 horse more makes ALL the difference !

I seem to remember having a new A-Hole ripped into me when I suggested large BHP figures from a V8 and was told that it was not all about power........

Of course there is more to be achieved, as there is with your car, my car, anyone's car but if Si's car floats Si's boat then he has won the game.

Andy, 150 - 300bhp is still well within the realms of an L series engine, YOUR power quoted from your 6 litre modern V8 is in the 400+ ! Different ball game !

I know how difficult it is now to control the torque and power from my modest output ; 300 and more is going to be fun like Darius' but REALLY driveable like a Z.......?

And Si' car doesn't float his boat - he's selling it !

Sean.
He is selling it! so until it sell's he can float his boat,or milk his goat,or
dry clean his coat,wash his feet in a moat,or shove brandy down his throat, or use his BHP for nowt!
He's got Peter Shilton's,He might buy Linekar's old man's yellow
one next ,who know's,he don't (for sure) I don't (definately) & you do!

Anyway Z's are well underated,& are a bargain for what they should really be worth.

P.S Great to See Andy back in good form.... Regards DJZ 60.:bow:

Congrats - how is it to be Zedless......? When're gonna buy another - what'll ya buy ? 240, 260, 280, 300 ?

Hiya mate

...we'll see wen the dosh is in my hands!!....he hasnt responded to my e mail just after the sale.
To be honest if he's ANOTHER time waster I'm gonna throw the book at him. Really.
It goes on FAR too much on ebay.
IF it has sold then its half the swag down on a house, half on another car dunno wot maybe a GT6 ..OR a 260!
We'll see time will tell......Si

Half the swag on a HOUSE. plus some left for a GT40:D

I make that 400,000 grand ( less paypal percentage ) :)

only pulling yer nose si.... Good luck with chappie Ebuyer. DJZ 60.:)

Hiya boyOs,

...3,700 which is a little cheaper than I wanted BUT he sounds like a great guy (spoke at length last nite). I'll lose on it (who doesnt!) but who cares its all a learning process and I love it...as I said B4 the rolling road master told me all my work was spot on....couldnt have done without you lot.

The buyers a very mechanically minded fella and really knows his stuff...he'll love the car. Meeting Fri to exchange gubbings...

Yeah I'm a first time byuer so I promised to put half (1,500 I said last nite! ...well I was never that good at maths!! hee hee ) towards a deposit on a house.

Now I'll go grab someit that needs a little 'someit' for around 2 - 3 K .. dunno wot yet but really like the look of a GT6 BUT I've never driven one.

Si

qunvat said:
Now I'll go grab someit that needs a little 'someit' for around 2 - 3 K .. dunno wot yet but really like the look of a GT6 BUT I've never driven one.

A GT6 ? Now there's a nice rust-trap ! If you haven't driven one, try it and you'll know why you haven't !

You do understand that you're going backwards on the evolutionary scale ?:(
You'll want another Z....or you'll completely give up having a classic car, hey, why not a Capri 2.8i ?

So what are you doing on this forum ? F... off and ask the Triumph Register:p !

Personally, I prefer the Minilites.

Back