Best Power Steering

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Which is the one to get. Have fitted E Z to an Etype which worked well but I seem to recall someone saying it's not a great system for the Z??

Fairlineguy

Club Member
I've been detered from fitting a power rack as from what I can see they are a bit longer than the standard rack
Which I guess could induce bump steer / effect tow out on turns?
So am also back at looking at the electric option

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Been talking to EZ today.

Two options but not sure which is best

They're both speed sensitive.

1, Full assistance from standstill then tapering off as you speed up to 35 mph and will come and go automatically

2, Is load sensitive via a potentiometer but works the same way, from standstill tappering off as you reach 35 mph but can be adjusted down to 90-85-80-75% as the start point

Not really sure what that means

toopy

Club Member
Been talking to EZ today.

Two options but not sure which is best

They're both speed sensitive.

1, Full assistance from standstill then tapering off as you speed up to 35 mph and will come and go automatically

2, Is load sensitive via a potentiometer but works the same way, from standstill tappering off as you reach 35 mph but can be adjusted down to 90-85-80-75% as the start point

Not really sure what that means

Im assuming the 90-85% or what ever is for if you think 100% assistance is too light even at parking speeds, so you can set it at say, 80% as the maximum assistance from standstill, tapering off to nothing at 35 mph.

Does anyone else think 35 mph is to soon, i'd prefer around 45 mph at least before assistance completely disappears! even then, sweeping bends on A roads at 50 mph, the steering still feels a bit heavy to me if im honest. I think i'd actually prefer about 20% as a minimum, so never actually unassisted ;)
Maybe im just to accustomed to modern steering, or im getting lazy or to old, or all three!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Terry Taylor did a good write-up on a system he built for his blue 240. It used a Subaru rack.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Im assuming the 90-85% or what ever is for if you think 100% assistance is too light even at parking speeds, so you can set it at say, 80% as the maximum assistance from standstill, tapering off to nothing at 35 mph.

Does anyone else think 35 mph is to soon, i'd prefer around 45 mph at least before assistance completely disappears! even then, sweeping bends on A roads at 50 mph, the steering still feels a bit heavy to me if im honest. I think i'd actually prefer about 20% as a minimum, so never actually unassisted ;)
Maybe im just to accustomed to modern steering, or im getting lazy or to old, or all three!

This is exactly my concern

TBH I only really want the assistance at normal speeds

My problem is that with 10" wide front wheels on stupid track rubber the steering wheel can often be wrenched from my hands. White lines etc etc

I thought that PAS might stop this but only if it's assisted at speed