Bad News

AndyMinto

Inactive
Yesterday I received the very bad news that the dreaded rust had riddled the rear end underneath the car as well as some points at the front and it would not pass its MOT. So, I have some decisions to make. Do I keep it and spend a large amount of money to get it back on the road or do I sell it for spares or repair. A large amount of the bodywork is fine with some e.g. front wings being nearly mint.

Does anyone know somewhere down south (Surrey etc.) that could undertake the work over a period of time and who could give me an estimate so I can more realistically decide. I really don't want to see another 280ZX canabalised but I may have no choice.

Thanks in advance

Andy - why don't you consider letting Martin over here collect the car and do it ? You could even bring it over and cheapie fly back - you speak French so make a break of it !

Hi!!! Don't be silly!!! My Baby had Issues the same or Probably a lot Worse!!! Get it Braized..... Don't be talking like this!!! Don't Kill cause the Pain hurts....

Sean,
Quelle bonne idée! I don't know Martin but if he wanted to pick it up and accept the challenge then we could fly over and pick it up when it was all bright and shiney again.
In the mean time I have my eyes on another 280ZX 2+2 not too far from where I live which I am going to look at on Sunday.

Andy, if you want to talk - call me. Martin painted mine and currently has two other Zs over here. In all, he's probably done nearly 20 ! He goes over regularly so he could trailer it back. He is also a skilled engineer so any other work involved would be kept in-house !

Will call

Sean, I am now a bit more focused and should pick up another 280ZX this weekend. I'll give you a call soon to chat possibly in Franglais:)
PM me when's best please?

When you want but call before sat midday 'cos after that there won't be a phone network where I'm going ! You can call before or after the weekend too ! :)

I believe that it might have belonged to Pete Parmenter the clubs Insurance Valuation Officer and was known as Freebird. Please see the attached.
Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Engine Right.jpg
    Engine Right.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 19
It is Petes old car with all the graffics removed

Think there was a post re the vent on top of the rocker cover with it being open
Mr F would advise on this
edited disregard that as it seems to have gone if the engine bay picture is a current one

Steve,

It is a recent picture as I took it last Sunday. The car is in very good condition with a bit of sponginess in the rear right of the boot but other than that it seems to have been well looked after. Have attached some more pics of the other side of the engine and rear end.

Attachments

• Engine Left.jpg
    Engine Left.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Engine Front.jpg
    Engine Front.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 11
As it used to be taken at the Uxbridge car show

carjump.jpg