Average speed cameras..how...

AD240Z

Club Member
... do they work exactly?

I get that it measures average speed between the cameras, but.....

Is this from beginning to end .. presumably between the first and last camera you pass.

I only ask as there are to be cameras on my daily route for 2 yrs + . Most of the exit slips have a camera that will be my last point ... understandable ....but... there is an unmarked road to my village with no camera.

If I leave on this - will 'they' realise I have gone and calculate my average between the cameras I have passed or will I just be missing without a last exit point.

Confused and sick of doing 50.......

All I ever read said along the route, so I take it to mean between any two cameras.

BTW, since they are frontal cameras, I can only assume they must be completely ineffective against motorbikes! :confused:

Ali K

I regularly go through them, I seem to be the only person holding to 50mph. I foreign lorry recently gave me a triad of abuse for doing 50, through the average section :s variable speed cameras confuse me with this too, so many people seem to be going way faster.

I also got the ****** sign yesterday for flashing someone doing 60 in the outside lane when there was literally nothing in the inside lane... I gave him a few minutes to realise by his own accord, but he was busy in his own world, basically he was being a lane hogging dawdeler.

I have had very similar experiences and wondering if they know something I don't!! Foreign plated cars do abuse them regularly, I think they feel the ticket won't find them. I guilty of pushing it a couple of mph but as you say these guys are flying past!

I once had someone at millimetres off my bumper in the inside lane trying to get me to go over 50. So I just flicked the mirror to night mode, set the cruise control to 50 and forgot about him as best as I could to avoid road rage.

We all love lane hoggers!! Is it legal yet to overtake them on the inside? There was talk of it a while back!

Ali K

I have had very similar experiences and wondering if they know something I don't!! Foreign plated cars do abuse them regularly, I think they feel the ticket won't find them. I guilty of pushing it a couple of mph but as you say these guys are flying past!

I once had someone at millimetres off my bumper in the inside lane trying to get me to go over 50. So I just flicked the mirror to night mode, set the cruise control to 50 and forgot about him as best as I could to avoid road rage.

We all love lane hoggers!! Is it legal yet to overtake them on the inside? There was talk of it a while back!

Ali K

Grey area, technically you shouldn't pass on the left, however it's accepted as reasonable in congestion, technically I guess you could argue that a lane hogger is congestion. Undertaking as such was taken out the Highway Code years ago, you could be charged for careless etc if the officer decided. Like I say grey, the offence wouldn't be undertaking but driving without due care, can you complete the manoeuvre with due care etc, blah blah blah. You get the gist.

So far in've been setting the cruise control to 54 and leaving it. Seems ok though have been overtaken a fair bit.

My logic is that I will be measured between the first and last cameras I pass. As I pass the last camera i can go as fast as I want as I can't be measured from there until i leave on the unmarked road.........

Where/what exactly is the offence of undertaking on the left or undertaking?

I Do it to dawdlers and lane joggers all the time.

Most speedometers are a little ambitious and frequently 50mph on the dial is around 46mph in reality. If you have a sat nav which displays speed or a Road Angel etc (which are more accurate than the car speedometer) you can compare. People who have an accurately reading device will then seem to be 'speeding' when in fact they are not. If fact they may be dawdling!

Most speedometers are a little ambitious and frequently 50mph on the dial is around 46mph in reality. If you have a sat nav which displays speed or a Road Angel etc (which are more accurate than the car speedometer) you can compare. People who have an accurately reading device will then seem to be 'speeding' when in fact they are not. If fact they may be dawdling!

Completely agree. None the less even with the speed set to 50 on the sat nav (indicated 54 on my speedo) there are people sometimes passing easily doing 60 or more. What do they know that I don't !? ;)

Ali K

Completely agree. None the less even with the speed set to 50 on the sat nav (indicated 54 on my speedo) there are people sometimes passing easily doing 60 or more. What do they know that I don't !? ;)

Ali K

Yup agreed, my sat nav is almost always on so see the same. I tend to sick to a speedo indicated 80mph, which is more like 76mph within the 10% allowance.

Back