Are these 240z kickplates original or repro?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I haven't seen any without the word D A T S U N on them ... but will admit to not having seen many as well.

From 1969 through 1978, no 'DATSUN' script on Japanese market S30 sill plates (because they were Nissans).

They look absolutely genuine to me, but watch out for different mounting screw spacing between production dates.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So if the Japanese ones didn’t have Datsun, did the UK or European ones have Datsun on them?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
So if the Japanese ones didn’t have Datsun, did the UK or European ones have Datsun on them?

All Export market versions - including UK & European market variants - initially carried 'DATSUN' stamping in the middle of the kickplates, and the cars themselves carried 'Datsun' emblems.

Japanese home market cars didn't carry 'Datsun' emblems or branding. They carried 'Nissan' emblems and the kickplates had no branding on them at all.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
They carried 'Nissan' emblems and the kickplates had no branding on them at all.

I wonder why they didn't have Nissan on the kickplates at home? - Maybe they didn't feel the need to advertise the name so much at home!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks Alan. [emoji106]

Mr Faskback - if you’re not going for this one, would you mind if I do? I’ve been looking for a set of these and they popped up on my eBay alerts but your thread was up before I saw that alert, so I don’t want to snake your find!!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
All Export market versions - including UK & European market variants - initially carried 'DATSUN' stamping in the middle of the kickplates, and the cars themselves carried 'Datsun' emblems.

Interesting Alan, thanks, so what is stock please on 280Zs and if isn't 'Datsun', why not - do you know please ?

Attachments

• 84866466_630414327714547_1230858376297054208_n.jpg
    84866466_630414327714547_1230858376297054208_n.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 11

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Alan, this maybe a really dumb question but what were the original fixings on these plates?

My current ones have been stuck on with double sided stickie and appear home made. The PO was a sheet metal worker after all (even if his mechanical work leaves a lot to be desired)!

Last edited:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Alan, this maybe a really dumb question but what were the original fixings on these plates?

My current ones have been stuck on with double sided stickie and appear home made. The PO was a sheet metal worked after all (even if his mechanical work leaves a lot to be desired)!

Exactly as Mr Tenno has pointed to; Dome-headed JIS self-tappers!

uk66fastback

Club Member
Fill yer boots Ali, I was merely asking about the originality (or not) of them!

I am trying to bring a shine back to my original ones. Not with the Solvol pictured but with a kit I bought a few years back ...

mpH6JoYJ.jpg

GrcRDCeT.jpg

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Excellent - thank you!

So here’s a question - how much of a water trap are these? I’m pretty sure my current ones are trapping water beneath them. :(