Another indicator issue

dotMorse

Club Member
So I am having the age old issue of the indicators not working with my 240z. I have been troubleshooting all the common issues and this is where I am at. Hazards work fine. Indicators sometimes click on the flasher once, but then nothing. Almost always they do nothing at all.

Changed fuses
Disassembled and cleaned indicator stalk switch
Disassembled and cleaned hazard switch
Checked wiring connections for continuity
Replaced flasher unit

Is there anything I can check with power delivery at various points in the circuit? I don’t seem to have and voltage at the stalk but it’s unclear if this is how it is meant to be? Is it a grounding circuit?

Basically I am running out of ideas. Is there anything left I should look at?

Ta
Tom

You will have two flasher units one for hazards and the other for the turn indicators .
locate the one that doesn’t click with the hazards on.
This one will be the indicators check there is a 12v feed to it
if so swap the flasher units over and see if they work
You can also bridge the two wires at the flasher unit this should put 12v to your switch so you can test the rest of the
circuit .

There are different types of flasher units as well. I had to upgrade mine due to installing LED lamps which, don't pull enough current to activate the bi-metal strip mechanism inside the flasher unit.

If they're flicking on briefly, In indication mode, but fully working in hazard mode, I would think the flasher module is at fault.

Poor earthing at the light units will also stop them working. Check all the earth contacts at each unit.

You will have two flasher units one for hazards and the other for the turn indicators .
locate the one that doesn’t click with the hazards on.
This one will be the indicators check there is a 12v feed to it
if so swap the flasher units over and see if they work
You can also bridge the two wires at the flasher unit this should put 12v to your switch so you can test the rest of the
circuit .
So another night of head scratching.

I get no power to the indicator fuse if I remove the flasher unit altogether as I guess it breaks the circuit.

Reinstall the flasher and I get 12v at the fuse. But no voltage at the flasher or switch box.

If I bridge delete the flasher and bridge the terminals I also get voltage at the fuse, but no voltage at the bridge or switch unit?

Where is the disconnect? I have checked all the earths I know about and they seem good. Have I missed one?

FIXED!

For anyone else having the same issue. Basically I must have had a split wire somewhere. Routed the 12v supply back to the hazard switch but had a good supply coming from the green wire when the hazards are off. This wire was not showing a connection to the green wire that connects to the indicator flasher. Spliced in a new wire from the hazard switch green wire to the flasher unit and everything now works. Well that was 4 nights well spent.

So it looks like I have one last electrical gremlin.

When I turn on the side lights the left front indicator turns on?

Back