another bit of datsun history

ben240z

Club Member
just put another bit of datsun racing history into my gallery. I can name 4 of the poeple in the pic.

ben240z said:
just put another bit of datsun racing history into my gallery. I can name 4 of the poeple in the pic.

Hi Ben

Have you got a year for the piccy? looks like an early 160B???
Location?

And yes I will get round to ringing you asap, I've been away with the fairy's this week..............land last come to think of it:D

Nigel

Hi Ben nice pic...
Which rally is the pic from African,Monte carlo,or other?
P.s
Apologies for not contacting your's truly as I have been up & down the U.K like a snail on speed! Will call,perhaps tommorrow.....
off in a few minutes to shoot high resolution pics for dvd release
on friday. Regard'zzzz DJZ 60.:cool:

Meaning the car,was the car in which Rally...you bandy frogs leg,
president pompidoo-doo. (Not you Ben)
on about that celery munching,stripy shirted,beret wearing
musket - tears in my eye Fraaaaaaaaaancebloke! DJZ 60.:rolleyes:

The guy in the red overall is the driver Han Tjan. Tjan did race and rally in several Datsun’s and also in Ben’s car!!!.
The photo is taken at the circuit of Zandvoort, in the background you see a television reporting car from the NOS.
This must be an 1200 coupe..

Yes! yes! Yes!

& another yes!
Thank you Legendary 5.....A true chivelrous gentleman
When Sean say's 'janspeed' is the clue,that's like saying DATSUN only
driven in Japan, Ferrari only in Italy, Janspeed is a performance group
& may have sponsered a 160b or any other car for any such rally,in any such location........What a turnip!!!!!:D

Turnip= Sean.:rolleyes:

Legendary5 said:
The guy in the red overall is the driver Han Tjan. Tjan did race and rally in several Datsun’s and also in Ben’s car!!!.
The photo is taken at the circuit of Zandvoort, in the background you see a television reporting car from the NOS.
This must be an 1200 coupe..
hi guus yes that is Han Tjan in the overalls and I am sure that it is Jan next to him with the young Keith and engine man Norman to the rear of the car. It would be good to identify the others in the pic and thanks for itentifying the venue. Do you still have a contact for Han? if so could you email it to me as I have lost most of my contacts in a computer crash. cheers ben

I think it is an article that I already have although the link does not seem to lead anywhere. cheers ben

Ben,
As I mentioned before on the thread you started over at the Datsun Owners Club forum, the Janspeed Sunny started life as a proper Works circuit race car over in Japan.

Nissan brought it over to the UK for ace works driver Moto Kitano to drive in selected races during the 1973 season, and I know for sure that it raced at Silverstone and Mallory Park at least.

Nissan then 'gave' it to Janspeed - probably passing through the hands of Datsun UK I should think - and Janspeed started modifying it to their own specs ( most noticeably modifying the arches, and the paint scheme ).

I talked to Moto Kitano about this a few years ago, and he had some interesting stories to tell about the prejudice they came across whilst trying to race in the UK. A long story in itself.

I thought there was talk of it surviving in private hands just a few years ago?

Here's an article reporting on the Silverstone race from Autosport Japan in Sept. '73:

kitanoworkssunnysilversnx7.jpg

This was at Brands Hatch-not sure of the date but I can go back through programmes to find out more.

Attachments

• un5-16A.jpg
    un5-16A.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 30
And theres more.....

Originally thought this was the same car. Same race at Brands as before.

Attachments

• un5-30A.jpg
    un5-30A.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 27
260ZG said:
And theres more.....

Originally thought this was the same car. Same race at Brands as before.

This looks like a Cherry 100A.

I'm not sure the other one is a sunny though it doesn't look like a 120Y it looks more like a 1200 coupe to me.

Back