An exhaust question...

Zsled

Well-Known Forum User
Could someone please explain to me the science behind exhaust pipes..

I've been informed that the Z relies on back pressure to work at it's best, so with this in mind and with the current state of my exhaust pipe can i just weld a 2 1/4 in diameter pipe from the down pipe straight through to a single back box?

Or do i need a centre section like a cherry bomb to the back box?

I was planning on getting a full stainless system later in the year but as i recently got stuck on a rather high speed bump, i now find myself needing to fix this as best as i can.

I have been quoted £330 for a full stainless system is this about right, i'm a bit loathe to spend this sort of money and come out with an exhaust that is either too quiet or so roarty that i'm going to get a headache going down the motorway. (i'm planning on taking it abroad this year so need something that won't be too boomy in the cabin) but at the same time want that classic sixties style sound.. or am i not being realistic.. i don't remember my old cavalier with a full decat and stainless pipes being over the top but then that was a mass produced system and not a one off..

Any advice is gratefully received,

Thanks
Nick :thumbs:
By the way the car is running triple 40 dellorto's if that helps at all

My GDS system is about 2.25" and has a middle 'cherry bomb' and rear silencer. Works just fine for road and track. Not too load, but not too quiet either.

I have a similar set-up except that the middle and end boxes are merely expansion boxes. Great sound, passes all circuits so must be under 94db (at 1.5m and 3500ish revs) and one can talk comfortably with the passenger.
At 3500ish the head, cam and carbs come on line and the engine sound becomes imposing but at that point chit-chat is not what I'm concentrating upon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone please explain to me the science behind exhaust pipes..

If only it was that simple.

You should read this -
21GG5KRG2RL._SL500_AA180_.jpg

http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scientific-Exhaust-Systems-Engineering-Performance/dp/0837603099

It will do your head in.

Thanks guy's

Sean your second photo shows the middle box clamped to the body work with two rubber bushes, is that how it's supposed to be?

Mine is definitely not like that, it hangs too low.

So looks like like i'll be getting a proper 'cherry bomb' and mate it to the Bosal back box then...

Cheers again
:bow:

Back