240z 50 amp

260z 50-60 amp newer models 60 amp

280zx 60 amp

not until 300zx that they went up to 70 amp
then 300 zxt 90 amp

johnymd

Club Member
Alternatives?

I have a mitsubishi unit on mine that looks a newer design to the Z one. Not shaw what its off, I found it in a box with a load of other misc bits.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I have a DJR racing alternator on mine which not only is powerful enough to supply my electric P/S and all the other goodies one installs in cars these days but is a whole lot lighter than anything previously mentioned above !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No clues 'cos Skiddy isn't giving anything away, least of all the weight of his car.........which he probably doesn't know after all that.........but my alternator is less than half the weight of the Z and ZX items with and without built-in regulaters.

Mr.F

Inactive
Talk to Chris at Greenwood Motorsport - they have done the conversion to lightweight on a 240Z using either Edge or Race Proven Inc. units sourced from Cambridge Motorsport...

A 90A Edge unit weighs in at 4.95 kilos
The 85A Race Proven Inc. unit is only 3.75 kilos. If 85 / 90 not enough, then they do up 160A version which still weighs in at less than 5 kilos.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Always nice to see people sharing information on forums :)

And what is the weight of your car ? You share and I'll share - then you can give me another little dig.

I am not going to giveyou my car weight however I will give you some clues

its a shame we can't all learn from each other but that requires change and change doesnt come easy, particularly to the Z fraternity..... cest la vie

And whose engine does Greenwood use in 'their' Z..............and guess the source of their info therefore?;)

My alternator weighs 2.8kgs.

240zchevyv8

Well-Known Forum User
Curious why people are concerned as to the weight of an alternator, does 1 kilo really matter in the scale of how much a zed weighs, also why the need for high amperage alternators if the 240z was built with a 50 amp and that ran every thing i cannot see the sense of upgrading past say 60-70 amp taking into account modern items you may fit in the car, i weighed my 240z yesterday it came in at 1160kg that includes chevy engine, R200 dif, twin 3" exhaust,cast iron exhaust manifolds, half a tank of gas and spare wheel, (but not a 40 + something driver trying to regain his youth in a fast lookin sports car) seriously though i could reduce the weight by dropping the spare tyre changing to exhaust headers( in progress) changing to single 3" exhaust pipe apparently very minor loss in power but lot of gain in less weight, remove the rear anti roll bar apparently not needed on a v8z change the rear drums to discs ( in progress) doing the above would save around 40 kilos+ oh and empty the washer bottle another kilo, doing the maths as now 1160kg/300bhp = 3.86kg per bhp, compared to new 1100kg/150bhp= 7.3kg per bhp obviously these are just numbers and not sure of the exact bhp of engine either but close enough, but to compare reduce it by 40kg is the same as gaining another genuine 10 bhp from the engine, but look at the list to do all the above would cost several hundred £££ for little gain in performance, so overall reducing the weight of the car as a means of more power is not a cost effective solution, with regards to alternators the one on my car is off a linde 6 ton fork lift truck 70 amp alloy body, built in voltage regulator made by bosch and best of all was free.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Mine does 45A which is fine for me and my electric P/S !

A 60A 280ZX one is better for running the Fi system.

Johny - you have a PM.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
according to black dragon z

240z 50 amp

260z 50-60 amp newer models 60 amp

280zx 60 amp

not until 300zx that they went up to 70 amp
then 300 zxt 90 amp

Thanks.

Talk to Chris at Greenwood Motorsport - they have done the conversion to lightweight on a 240Z using either Edge or Race Proven Inc. units sourced from Cambridge Motorsport...

A 90A Edge unit weighs in at 4.95 kilos
The 85A Race Proven Inc. unit is only 3.75 kilos. If 85 / 90 not enough, then they do up 160A version which still weighs in at less than 5 kilos.

I am, but they are pricey.

Do I need more than 60amps to run all the stock stuff + ECU, e/fan, e/water pump, e/fuel pump, aux lights, stereo & amplifier ??

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Do I need more than 60amps to run all the stock stuff + ECU, e/fan, e/water pump, e/fuel pump, aux lights, stereo & amplifier ??

Your biggest continual draw would I guess be the water pump. Get the calculator out and remember "Where is Vera" and Vera is Randy" The link below is for an LRA205 (Lucas B90 exchange) it's 50 amp and I went this route after spinning the alternator and replacing the pulley. It has plenty of gutts and reserve for my needs as I use a good quality battery with a good reserve. Yup I run the big Facet fuel pump and 3 bloody great amps and still have plenty in hand. There are other alternators that produce much more power and can be spun and adjusted so you might want to take your alternator to a good parts shop that has reference books to look at. It certainly works out cheaper in the long run I think I paid £25 for mine, new...;)

New Alternator - Nissan Cherry,Skyline,Violet,Cabstar on eBay (end time 01-Apr-10 17:21:48 BST)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Never had a problem with the standard Alternator but I don't even have a heated rear screen or music. Something lighter would be good though.

260Z TT

Club Member
Mine ran fine with twin turbo conversion,Wolf 3d management, electric fuel pumps and rad fans.
The final nail in the coffin was the CSR electric water pump. Started to backfire at higher loads, then finally died on the way home from a show. Made it back charging at 8.8 volts, just!
Upgrading to a Silvia turbo item, which I happened to have a new unit in stock!