Acid Dipped - Work Starts Next Week

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Folks,

Now that Mr Horn's car has gone, work can start on mine. The shell has been dipped and is ready for work to start, first off structural integrity work, new floors etc etc plus the obligatory bulkhead swap.

Anyway, pics of dipped shell and great place to start from :

Attachments

• DSCF0257.JPG
    DSCF0257.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0260.JPG
    DSCF0260.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF0262.JPG
    DSCF0262.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0266.JPG
    DSCF0266.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0273.JPG
    DSCF0273.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 45
And a few more .........

Attachments

• DSCF0282.JPG
    DSCF0282.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0290.JPG
    DSCF0290.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0296.JPG
    DSCF0296.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0328.JPG
    DSCF0328.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0329.JPG
    DSCF0329.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 33
it certainly looks good, get the car in etch primer fast including all the little voids or it will rust like fury, i'm sure you know that already.... looking forward to seeing the progress and the end result!:D well done!

Isn't there a risk of body warp when acid dipped - something to do with the reaction of what's on the original metal and the acid ?

I thought it was ok for panels but iffy for a complete shell ???

Zhead/Sean,
Looking good. I have started to look into this for my long term project, found a company (can't remember the name). This company does some of the World rally car shells, so I would think they would not bother to acid dip them if there was a chance of warping. Also I would have thought that the owner of the chassis no. 00026 in the States (26th) would have not risked the shell if there was any chance of warping.

I am interested on this, so can you keep us posted.
Thanks
Ian

Is that £1000 for a full dip with out having to scrap all the paint and underseal (if any :) on ?
And does a full vehicle dip mean with the doors and other panels obviously off by dipped as well ?

Ian, I take what you mean about No. 26 and eventually what I expect he'll do with No. 27 !

I don't know about the grand including doors etc, but the place I looked at gets rid of all the paint/tar/grease and then gets rid of the rust, and as far as I can gather all in one dip.
Zhead, can you tell us a bit about what happened to your shell to get to the rust free state in the pics?

Cheers
Ian

SeanDezart said:
I'd say for the time saved and in the name of thoroughness, that's cheap !
I would agree with you there, money well spent in my opinion.

I think you can dip a whole car, suspension, tyres the lot........ but the cost will probabley vary a bit. The expense will be in disposing of the sludge (hazardous waste / protect the environmet etc etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, when you put it like that, it's not too expensive I suppose. Assuming you have a grand to factor into the costs, which I don't!

Genuine truth is I do not know where it was done although I have some pretty good guesses, Laurence has a lot of contacts that it is not appropriate for me to to try and pry out of him. His "secrets" are part of his livelihood so I don't ask.

As I understand it it was baked to make everything flakey then dipped to remove all the crap then alkali washed to stop the acid continuing to eat into the metal. All of the panels, donor bulkhead, doors, bonnet etc were done. The vented tailgate is brand new so still in the black finish.

The next stage is to find somewhere with a big enough setup to zinc plate it.
I reckon it wil add quite a lot of weight but once the welding, cutting, strengthening etc is done having it zinc plated is the best way I know of rustproofing it long term. I do not want to go to all this trouble and have 35 year old metal rot on me in 5 or 6 years time, I want this car to last another 20 without problem.

Work should literally start any day on replacing the floors with uprated, thicker ones, strengthening the shell, swapping the bulkhead etc. Once this is done the dummy fit of a V8 and box and suspension will happen.

Once we have a rolling shell life gets easier.

Generally I was incredibly impressed with the state of the shell considering how old it is. Without doubt if you want to build a serious car, importing a "dry state" shell is the way to go.

Well, the bulkhead is out now but I have been asked not to post pictures yet .... kinda trade secret stuff I guess :D

Welding has started to strengthen the shell so as soon as I get the go ahead I will post some pics :D

What bulkhead number is going back on then :) ?

"Without doubt if you want to build a serious car, importing a "dry state" shell is the way to go." Ditto, ditto, ditto !!!!!

Great story Andy, keep it up, I'm looking forward to the photos !

Back