280zx gearbox - usable?

abas

Well-Known Forum User
I bought an L28 engine and gearbox a little while back and the gearbox had been stored separate from the engine. The result is that the input shaft where it goes into the spigot bearing has rusted quite a bit. I have cleaned it up as much as possible, but there is are still some rust pits etc I do not know whether this gearbox is usable as a result, or whether this might give rise to clutch judder or excessive wear to the spigot bearing. Any ideas?. I have attached a picture ( admittedly not very good). Cheers for any help

Attachments

• IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 39
Looks ok to me, mind it is a poor pic. Its the splinds that need to be good. Plenty of copperslip and away we go, i'm told it works well on cars too.....;)

Yes like grolls says, spigot area looks ok I would clean up the splines abit then try an old clutch plate to make sure it moves freely.and yes plenty of copperslip.

Talk to any clutch manufacturers and suppliers and they will tell you that the use of copperslip will adversly affect the operation of the clutch and make your warranty void. The advice that they give is to use a white grease. It doesn't dry out and retain the clutch/road dust which copperslip does.
White grease is available in small sachets from clutch suppliers and should come with a clutch kit. If you can't get any then let me know and I will bring some down to Poole with me next weekend.

Talk to any clutch manufacturers and suppliers and they will tell you that the use of copperslip will adversly affect the operation of the clutch and make your warranty void. The advice that they give is to use a white grease. It doesn't dry out and retain the clutch/road dust which copperslip does.

I guess I must have just been very lucky when using it over the last 25 years to not have had any problems .:D

Andrew, I would use the box. After all most of the time the shaft is stationary in the bush anyway.

What Ben240Z says is correct. Copper Slip is an anti-sieze compound, especially for high temperature conditions - its not designed to be a lubricant, even though its commonly used for this. I've worked in heavy industry for 20 years (Ingersoll Rand, 5000ton transfer presses etc) and would never use Copper Slip on sliding / moving parts. Use the grease like Ben recommends, same cost.

Back