280 zxr history

Fish1234

Active Forum User
I've seen a 280 zxr for sale California supplier says only 1011 made seems that there just a few cosmetic changes like spoiler and decals from the zx. Can anyone if they got time explain the differences and desirability of the z series and why the focus is mostly on the 240/260 keeping prices lower for a 280 is there anyway the 280 can pepped up cheaply. I understand that the 280 got softened by u.s emission controls so got fuel injected instead?. Are there many other changes? Did the body stay relatively the same for all three Z models?. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Not enough time to answer your questions in full - spend some time yourself looking through the forum for your answers.

The ZX-R was a limited run to homologate certain body parts. The model itself is nothing special, same performance and like the 10yr black/gold versions, not valued higher than another equivalent model except by a rare few geek-ish collectors.

Judge any car by body condition, complete and clean interior, history and any useful/tasteful mods.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've seen a 280 zxr for sale supplier says only 1011 made seems that there just a few cosmetic changes like spoiler and decals. Can anyone if they got time explain the differences and desirability of the z series and why the focus is mostly on the 240/260 keeping prices lower for a 280. I understand that the 280 got softened by u.s emission controls so got fuel injected instead?. Are there many other changes? Did the body stay relatively the same for all three models?. Thanks a lot.

The 280ZXR isn't an S30 (240z/260z/280z) it's an S130 (280zx) which is substantially different (see the pages https://zclub.net/s30/ and https://zclub.net/s130/)

With regards to S30s, the parts of the body you can see don't appear externally that different between the 240z, 260z and 280z (although they are in practice). The main parts you'd notice at first glance are the bumpers, rear lights and interior. The bumpers can be relatively easily swapped - the lights and interior, not so much.