260z Suspension

surreyseagull

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,just looking for some views regarding uprating suspension from standard.Id like a stiffer suspension and car to be lowered,handle a lot better,yet not feel like an unsprung truck,as we have to drive on 3rd world roads.
What are peoples views say tociko illumunia adjustables and lowered springs vs a coilover kit with welded sleeves or a mega expensive proper coilover kit.

A nice step without being too radical, is Mr. F's lowered and uprated springs. Coupled with some up-rated anti-roll bars.... but it depends on what you want the car to feel like...and what you want to pay...

the tokico illumina and lowered springs would be the easiest and most likely cheapest option

Sorry to go off topic but how much travel do you have on your front shocks Wyn? That's about where I want to be height wise but after measuring it up it looks like I'll only have 1" with the poly bumpstops cut in half (unless I worked it out wrong). Solid top mounts are a bit out of my budget now :unsure:

Never looked once fitted but haven't had any issue with them bottoming out
Sometime in the future I want to lower it again anyway as imo it sits to high on the frt as it is

btw, MrF would have a clearer idea of how much shorter the frt springs sit are over stock as they came via him

Yes, I had the same front springs but many issues with them fitting properly. In the end Mike sorted me out some progressive ones that I will inevitably be cutting coils off of (from the progressive end) so I should be able to lower the car while at the same time making sure they sit properly between the seat and top.

Or come to think of it maybe I didn't have the same front springs... your 260 is a later one? I would guess that you have a different amount of shock travel too then?

Mine is a 78 car with tokico illumina inserts and std type (uprated/lowered) coil springs
From what I remember when building them up (not on the car) I had plenty of travel left
You sure you got the inserts right way round? Sure the frt and rear are diffo length, but not sure it's possible anyway to mix them ?

Inserts, as in shock absorbers? I have the illuminas too. If I remember right they are the exact same shocks front and rear, except the rear ones came with spacer tubes. The shock travel is limited by the height of the top of the strut tube, similar to the pic (not my photo). Pretty sure I'll have a similar problem; not sure how much I can chop off the bumpstop before I run the risk of the shock bottoming out internally on the valving.

Attachments

• P1020135.jpg
    P1020135.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 16
Inserts, as in shock absorbers? I have the illuminas too. If I remember right they are the exact same shocks front and rear, except the rear ones came with spacer tubes. The shock travel is limited by the height of the top of the strut tube, similar to the pic (not my photo).

Yes as in shock inserts
Not sure what you got going on there. Have you gone too low on the springs?
Fat lady sat on bonnet without you noticing :D
Right inserts for your yr car ?

What I mean is, if I want my car to be about the same height as yours I will run into the problem of limited shock travel.

I've got the cheaper KYB gas inserts, with some springs I had made by springcoil. ('cos Mr F doesn't have a pattern for my year).
I'm happy with it all.

Back