260z carb rebuild

smudge2031

Well-Known Forum User
hi, just bought a 260z with flat top carbs...new to these and was wondering the cost of getting them rebuilt and who is the best to rebuild them or does anyone have a set for sale or upgrade for sale? cheers

I'm not sure if they rebuild the flat tops but check out the Ztherapy.com website.

Most people would advise you to swap them out for 240 carbs but some believe they are perfectly good if properly set up and maintained.

I got my 240 carbs onto my 260 from Ztherapy and they work superbly! I didn't have flat tops, mine were old worn 240 ones the previous owner had put on.

These are a great carbs if working correctly and technically better than the 240 carb. From what I understand, parts are difficult to come by and that is the main reason people suggest you change them.

I had the flat-tops in my 260 swapped to some from a 240 and found the 240 ones to be better in every respect. Would never go back.

The early 240 su's are very simple and easy to setup and therefore often feel better than faulty, badly setup 260 carbs. The addition of a separate idle circuit is a good feature that's missing from the round tops. I guess the only way for me see if these carbs are any good is to rebuild them and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice...think il look out for a set of 240's or triple Webber's. Tried getting the car started today but after 30 years.. I think I was dreaming!!!

Thanks for the advice...think il look out for a set of 240's or triple Webber's. Tried getting the car started today but after 30 years.. I think I was dreaming!!!

It might be worth trying Easystart to help bring it to life?

Get Dellortos, easier to get the spelling right, and the fuel unions look so much better.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450872555.106409.jpg

If it won't start on easystart, I'd be looking at if ignition rather than carbs.

I've definitely got spark but the petrol is coming out out of the pipes entrance of the carbs. The floats lift up fairly easily and fall down OK again...guess I've got a blockage somewhere

Are they flooding then? Are the plugs wet? I think those carbs do have an overflow from the float chamber that that exits into the engine.
I think they overflow when the float valve is stuck and doesn't close.
If they were mine I'd take them off and take them apart and clean everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Jon on the strip and rebuild. Take care if you don't have the rebuild kit. Although not as simple as the early su's, they are still pretty simple. Check float level and make sure the Pistons move freely.

Back