260z 2+2.....£21000

Nice car and if the prices we see these cars going for are true then this has to be up there

Colour looks great agreed BUT there comes a point in a classic car marque rise in status/value when some basic principles must be applied for a car to achieve the highest prices and be considered as a serious player in the collector car market.

Like it or not, hugely important amongst those is that a car must be finished in an original paint colour.

Sorry if this is not what all those 'it's your car do what you want' types on the forum want to hear but ignore the market expectations at your peril. You just don't see Jag, Alfa, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston etc in non-original colours and anyone contemplating a fresh restoration of those marques will not entertain the question. Any car not in a factory paint colour will have it's value seriously compromised.

Sure, whilst the cars are kicking around the bargain basement territory this may be of less importance but once we get to £ 20k+ and more serious money it is a much bigger consideration.

You're basing your opinion on 100% stock cars whereas most of the Zs making money today have already been modified......some even have turbos:rolleyes: !

As a 'nice' Z, ready to go with no (?) issues, I don't fault the price.

You're basing your opinion on 100% stock cars whereas most of the Zs making money today have already been modified......some even have turbos:rolleyes: !

As a 'nice' Z, ready to go with no (?) issues, I don't fault the price.

Morning Sean

Think you're missing the point. This car in isolation had the chance to be very special, good history etc , painted the original colour would have possibly been able to ask nearer £25k.
When the car went through the auction, I was the under bidder. The car looked solid underneath.
The car now looks very nice, I agree with Chris though.

Steve

I'm happy zed are going up e types aren't all that but they look nice with there body styling

Zed have always been under estimated in values my dad sold are white 2+2 with plenty mot on it sold for £1900 it's about time datsun started going up in value just like e types are because I see more e types and 2+2 e types in my life than zed cars

Morning Sean

Think you're missing the point. This car in isolation had the chance to be very special, good history etc , painted the original colour would have possibly been able to ask nearer £25k.
When the car went through the auction, I was the under bidder. The car looked solid underneath.
The car now looks very nice, I agree with Chris though.

Steve

So what is it worth today as is ?

Get off the fence and say it ! You were obviously bidding cautiously at the time to let it go for less than £3k for a sound car, good history....so today's book price is ?

you're basing your opinion on 100% stock cars

No I am not.........and it is fact not opinion ;)

whereas most of the zs making money today have already been modified......some even have turbos:rolleyes: !

Not discussing mechanical upgrades/swaps which may also affect value btw ;) especially as higher prices demanded. Do you see an American V8 in an E type these days ? No you don't as people recognise to achieve high prices you need to keep cars to original...ish spec. You used to see V8 swaps in E types many years ago when they were worth much less but not now, a valid comparison and point evidenced !

Put two cars of identical spec. Next to each other, one original paint colour and the other not and the former will always be worth more.

as a 'nice' z, ready to go with no (?) issues, i don't fault the price.

I think it is in the ballpark, maybe a bit strong bearing in mind the well known very original and nice 2 seater 260z that a member sold on here a few months ago for similar price, but shows the way the market ( or asking prices at least ) are going and maybe also that the 2+2 is now coming more into it's own as we speculated only last week :d

How much less is a 2+2 worth than a 2 seater ?
Less desirable.....no doubt, not as good looking..... No doubt, rarer......no doubt
Does rarity equal out the first two points ? Probably not.......

The car is not a colour that suits the Datsun IMO so there is no way I would buy it if I was looking for one. I much much prefer Andrew Muir's taste.

The asking price is 'strong' but as we have said before there is no point in discussing price. if it's right it will sell.

Do you see an American V8 in an E type these days ? No you don't as people recognise to achieve high prices you need to keep cars to original...ish spec. You used to see V8 swaps in E types many years ago when they were worth much less but not now, a valid comparison and point evidenced !

Put two ......

Why own a car and then worry about what the next owner will want?

Surely owning the car is about enjoying it as YOU want and not what next guy may like? So if it's engine swaps, ZG kits, bigger wheels, non OEM paint colours, so long a the owner is happy and satisfied and knows that it may affect re-sale one day, then so be it.

Next we will want to preserve mileage, keep them in heated garages, trailer them to shows just to preserve "originality"? Where is the fun in that?

Agree with Chris in some ways but have to agree with mr frogy,look at his 240 wee wee yellow,looked very nice and wouldn't put me off buying it,as for colour it's a personal choice so matters only to the person that owns it,It probably matters more to some marques

The colour is nice, but just not on a Z! I was flirting once with doing my Mustang in that Prowler orange, so glad I didn't!

Big chance to have an original colour - if not THE original colour on this car has been missed.

Back