240Z Vacuum Hose

Paul_S

Club Member
I want to replace the braided vacuum hose on my 240Z but they are no longer available.

I read on another forum about someone who got some generic 10mm braided hose and put a coat hanger inside to bend to shape. Can anyone advise me if that's a bad idea?

The only downside I can see is that the hose will have a reduced volume, but I'm not sure that's a problem.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

toopy

Club Member
As i see it, a hose that is bent into position, rather than formed, will work just as well, but the bent parts may deteriorate a lot quicker, silicone hose far more reliable in this scenario i would of thought.

toopy

Club Member
http://www.classicsiliconehoses.com/product-options/

product_options_black_large.jpg

Paul_S

Club Member
Interesting... I might give them a call :)

I wonder how long the cheap method would last though. I quite like the idea of giving it a go. If it lasts a few years I'd be happy.

Paul_S

Club Member
I ordered something similar but with 10mm ID late last night. I now wonder if I should have got something slightly bigger to make allowance for my coat hanger!

I'll have a play and report back. But it won't be for a while because the car is off to be sprayed soon and won't get much running before then.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Where did you order it from out of interest?

Is this the hose from the balance bar to the brake servo - or another one?

Mr.G

Club Member
How about some of this?

https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/...nbr-rubber-braided-black-outer-fuel-hose.html

Nylon braided ... comes in 3ft lengths - 11.2mm ID. I was thinking of getting the bigger size as replacement heater hose maybe ...

That doesn't look too bad a substitute for those looking for a close to original look ... I have used Viper before and have had them custom make me pipes in the past.... If someone is up for taking some good but tired pipes to them so they can design new ones I am sure there would be a market for this... I for one would be interested... it will bring the costs down for sure if enough people had an interest.

uk66fastback

Club Member
S30 top and bottom radiator hoses ... they'd clean up surely as we all know the price of the OEM-style braided ones ...

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
I made an impulse eBay purchase --> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-10mm-...CUUM-LINE-PETROL-DIESEL-OIL-TUBE/382822905666

The pipe I want to change runs from the intake manifold, along the bulkhead (around the bonnet catch), and down to the master cylinder. It's got a lot of bends in it!
you might find it will kink on itself and collapse trying to take the same bends, if you put some 8 or 10mm copper pipe inside first then carefully bend it then it will keep its shape without collapsing and you cant see the copper pipeEXTRA:)

Paul_S

Club Member
you might find it will kink on itself and collapse trying to take the same bends, if you put some 8 or 10mm copper pipe inside first then carefully bend it then it will keep its shape without collapsing and you cant see the copper pipeEXTRA:)
Thanks for the advice. I'll have a play and see what happens :)

uk66fastback

Club Member
Are you sure that's 10mm internal diameter? I think I have some similar looking pipe going from the fuel rail to the SUs ...

Paul_S

Club Member
Are you sure that's 10mm internal diameter? I think I have some similar looking pipe going from the fuel rail to the SUs ...
Yep, I removed both ends and measured the tube it slides on to. It was a little larger than 10mm from memory, but not as much as 11.

johnymd

Club Member
I used black silicon hose and 8mm copper tube inside it and it worked very well. By the way, hose is measured by internal diameter and tube (metal) is listed by outside diameter so in theory 10mm tube will go inside 10mm hose.