240z head on 260Z engine

big rex 2

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Guys,

I have a 240z with a 260z engine.

My car is currently fitted with a 260z E88 head and a fast road cam but the lobes are scored.

I have found a 240z E88 head with a fast road cam... my question is are the heads interchangable between engines ?

I imagine they are the same with the extra displacement for the 2.6 coming from piston size.

Many thanks,

Adam

atomman

Club Member
line.jpg

according to this --> http://datsunzgarage.com/heads/

The E88 heads just had larger valve's in the 260z , the smaller valve's in the 240 E88 wont let it breathy as much though

The extra displacement comes from the stroke of the crank, its longer in the 260 engine

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
As the L26 has a longer stroke, I think it would be a good idea to make sure the valves don't interfere with the piston given the 240z head has a different cam fitted. I'm not sure if the max height of the L26 piston is the same as on the L24, I imagine it might be so possibly isn't a problem. If the L26 head was going onto an L24 block then there might be a problem due to the edges of the valves protruding lower.

big rex 2

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks guys,

I think I'll just stick with my original plan off getting a new cam from kent and have my rocker arms
re-finished by piper.

cheers for the swift response

Adam

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Early 260z E88 heads also had the small valves.
You could just move the cam & rockers from the 240z head to the 260z head?

I've got a Kent P284 cam in my engine and it goes alright. Which Kent profile are you looking at?