240Z gearbox/S14 gearbox.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I've had one kit from Pete and "sweet as a...." sums it up - thanks mate - might need another one but getting an exchange bell-housing to you will be difficult as usual !

zedthered should read the first post again !

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Pete did one for my 280 a couple of weeks back it has now been fitted by Silverbullit and picked the car up on Monday
It is an absolute pleasure to drive no more jumping out of fifth and no more chunky gear changes
Mark told me it was almost a plug and play and was so easy to fit the only slight problem was the prop was slightly to long but he sorted it
A brilliant effort Pete considering it was a bit of a trial run for the 280 and was 99% correct not bad considering it was a prototype as the first one for a 280

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You're joking Burnsie - we've done two over here already ! If you'd asked for advice on the forum as per its' raison d'être........

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
You're joking Burnsie - we've done two over here already ! If you'd asked for advice on the forum as per its' raison d'être........

Well I would have had trouble getting you the exchange bell-housing to you;)

Asked advise by that old fashioned thing called a phone the day after I got back from Ireland minus the car
Got advised to phone pmac up and he said he had one there
A week later he delivered it to Ascot for me job done

Didn't know you had done 2X280s

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
considering it was a prototype as the first one for a 280

Not querying Mr Macs' service - just your 'BALD' statement about being a prototype......:p

I've had 4x 280s - they're all over the place here as are 260Z 2+2s - a rare car here is a Z31 and I've got one of them too.;)

johnymd

Club Member
Blimey Sean, you've converted 4 x 280zx's, a number of 260 2+2's and a z31 to s14 boxes! No wonder there's a shortage of s14 boxes at the moment!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Nobody knows over here the 'extra' use one can put to these spare parts ! I hasten to add that I haven't converted the Z31, in any case it's an automatic which suits my Dad.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Old thread but needed updating

I think the Burnsie comment about prototype comes from the fact that his was done some years ago all the cars we had done up to that point were S30's....

Originally Posted by samuri-240
What is the difference between the s13 & s14 gear boxes please ?

I think there is only a different in ratio

Nope, there are many differences, amoung which.....
The S13 and the S14 have different internals both size and material wise, the S14 has larger bulkier selector forks, the S13 has a tricky detent/selector mechanism in the back half which was improved in the S14, the S14 has bulkier gears, different bearings, the casing on the 13 is different, they are different weights....then moving on to the S14a which has an oil trap door in the sandwich plate.

I'm sure Sean can chip in with any differences I might have missed

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
First conversion I did was only 11 years ago - 2004.

Not much to add only that I systematically repalce all the bearings, synchros and seals now having been let down by some 'good' s/h boxes and I would certainly reccomend anyone else to do the same now these boxes are older and have theoretically more mileage.

racer

Club Member
Just to add some info on Ratio's

240z - - S13 - - - S14
2.906 - 3.592 - 3.321
1.902 - 2.057 - 1.902
1.308 - 1.361 - 1.308
1.1 - - -1.1 -- ---1.1
0.864 - 0.82-1 - 0.838

Sorry I don't have the Ratios for 280 boxes.

strugrat

Club Member
Does anyone know of a reputable place to have these boxes rebuilt in the UK?

I have one for my car but may look into rebuilding just for peace of mind.