240Z faulty contacts on lights, wiper...

Hub280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
It looks like my commodos are getting old and lazy!
It all started with direction lights working right and not left, and then nothing. I had a disassembly of the covers at the back of the steerig wheel, and some contacts cleaning and smooth abrasive friction. Was better for some months and problem is back again...
On the other side commodo (wiper/lights), I have the wiper starting sometime without asking, and the worst came on my return from holidays with an early start in the dark, and suddenly, no more front lights! I drove for 140 km holding the arm for contact, but the gear changes was quite funny with the hand stuck...(LHD, sorry!)
Question:
I suppose that all this is coming from oxydation on the small blades?
I had a search on solutions, but could not find answers. What method are you applying to recover a reliable function on those?
I've been told that a welding drop melted on the small tips is not the solution, as the intensity at low voltage is going to re-melt the stuff...
If just cleaning and abrading, the oxydation is going to come back quickly?
Thanks for your suggestions or experience!

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
when cleaning up the electrical contacts you can coat them with grease or Vaseline etc to stop the oxydation

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hubert, I would try to find a spare set of controls that you know are good. Failing that, at least with a spare set you could work on them without fear of wrecking your only set.

I have done a few jobs like that on my old 240Z and with a spare set you could choose the best bits from each. It's best to give yourself plenty of time too.

On mine sometimes they just needed cleaning with fine emery paper, on other things like the indicator switch it was not 'rocking' correctly. It helped that I was at one time a telephone engineer (old mechanical systems).

There must be a market for 'reconditioned' electrics on S30s.

Hub280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Rob,
the situation is following:
I have cleaned the oxydation on the direction lights contacts, sprayed some anti-oxydant, and had a drive for some 1200 km this week-end with both sides working fine! That side looks like solved for sometime.
On the side of the night lights, the turning step from stop to signal front and back lights is fine, but then, the turn to the front lights driving at night is strangely hard... and does not work. I went to the point of disassembling the complete half from the steering column, and unscrewed the top box with the contacts system: The damage is inside that box. The turning plastic part is worn where it holds the two round plastic half balls on springs, and one spring can be seen through the round cap! It does not slides any more, and the supposed lubrication is inexistant!
I have to find a used working set as you suggest, and for the moment... no more front lights in the dark...