240z caliper thickness

240zchevyv8

Well-Known Forum User
hello a simple question but cannot find an answer on the net:mad: while fitting new coilovers and toyota calipers to my 1970 240z one of the brake discs had a bad groove in it question is what is the minimum brake disc thickness for this car at present its 11.5 mm thick it would be easier to just have it machined flat thickness permiting also a silly question can you machine just one of the discs without it affecting brake bias effeciency providing the other disc is good :conf2:regards 240zchevy v8

hello a simple question but cannot find an answer on the net:mad: while fitting new coilovers and toyota calipers to my 1970 240z one of the brake discs had a bad groove in it question is what is the minimum brake disc thickness for this car at present its 11.5 mm thick it would be easier to just have it machined flat thickness permiting also a silly question can you machine just one of the discs without it affecting brake bias effeciency providing the other disc is good :conf2:regards 240zchevy v8

Machining just one disc is not a good idea as you will more than likely end up with unequal braking especially when they get hot. Better off fitting a good pair of second hand discs or new if you can. Minimum machined thickness 10.5mm. Having gone to the trouble of fitting Toyota calipers it seems a shame to skimp on the discs. Got a good pair if you're stuck.

hello nigel thank you for the info as it is 10.5mm minimum ill only need to skim off 0.3mm from the one bad side and 0.1mm from other side so ill have both discs skimmed so there should be plenty off meat left on discs so to speak not only that but need to get car ready for thorseby show this weekend and still got to fit all superflex bushes and coilovers to rear end then set up ride height can see a couple of sick days comming at work if for any reason discs are us ill be in touch tommorow thanks heath

hello nigel thank you for the info as it is 10.5mm minimum ill only need to skim off 0.3mm from the one bad side and 0.1mm from other side so ill have both discs skimmed so there should be plenty off meat left on discs so to speak not only that but need to get car ready for thorseby show this weekend and still got to fit all superflex bushes and coilovers to rear end then set up ride height can see a couple of sick days comming at work if for any reason discs are us ill be in touch tommorow thanks heath

if your going to the Thorseby show want to add your name to the thorseby thread

It's to do with the 'bell' shape of the disc, the 260 is different than the 240. The 260 hub corrects the Peugeot disc offset/inset and puts it in the right place for the calipers.

I run this set-up, originally with 'spaced' Datsun calipers and now Range Rover items (v heavy). Tbh if I was starting from 'scratch' I'd use a DJ kit.

Ah, now this was a question I asked some time ago and got conflicting answers. Having just checked the peugeot disc against the datsun one I see what you mean. Hope the rest is the same as I have had the pug discs machined to fit the 240 hub. Don't know why I did'nt check before:eek:

So what's the actual difference between the 240/260 hub? Is the 260 longer, wheel flange in a different position, thicker or what? Do I need 260 struts, top mounts or does the 260 hub fit the 240? Anybody?

Without comparing both I can't give sizes but it will fit straight onto a 240 strut, mine did.

I have 260 rear hubs too and they fit straight into the 240 struts. Both parts of the spline are needed though as they are bigger.

Without comparing both I can't give sizes but it will fit straight onto a 240 strut, mine did.

I have 260 rear hubs too and they fit straight into the 240 struts. Both parts of the spline are needed though as they are bigger.

Great, Have you got a pair of 260 front hubs?:eek:

Back