12mpg....

bro973x

Well-Known Forum User
I am only getting 12 miles to the gallon! I have no leaks anywhere....What is the problem?? Please help me!!! :conf2:

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
:S30: the prob is that some body made the gallon smaller its not 5 ltr any more lol. but really have you had it looked at or set up recently maybe a bit rich or something like that has it had a service ??

martin

racer

Club Member
Erh how about the cold start valve sticking on then! Common problem on a 280.
Talk to Mike at MJP, I'm sure he can sort you out.

bro973x

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks everyone...Nidge..It is nice to hear when you you put your foot down but that isn't it!! It idles faultlessly at 500rpm but admittedly,even after 300 miles since the last service 6 months ago (!) The other thing is ,my transmission fluid gets higher up the stick each time I look at it....Its booked in to Nissan monday to have it changed.. Could this be it???

Russ

Club Member
I'm averaging 16mpg in my '32, I know this doesn't help your 280 but my only problem is enjoying it too much!

Let us know how you get on though.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm currently getting 28.5 average from my 350Z, 32 from my Golf VR6. Driving carefully obviously and treating it as a bit of a challenge.

Coming back from the Gower (S Wales to Hinckley) the other month I average 40 mpg in the VR6, yes 40!

Main reason is not the cost saving, just a challenge to relieve the boredom of normal driving and speed cameras.

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Dunno what I get now, it was over 30 with tripple webers...little right foot and now its settled down.....who cares:devil:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I get 20mpg with my 3.1 driving normally (a bit of overtaking....alright quite a bit) on B-roads, 17-18 in town and 10 on VERY hard circuit driving.

Both our 280ZX two seaters return (standard engine) - 29mpg with mixed driving and (170+bhp engine) 25mpg which was measured doing 90 mph for 4 hrs !

To get 12 from a 280ZX, something must be VERY wrong or very powerful !:eek: Are your brakes getting hot without applying them :rolleyes: ?

AndyMinto

Inactive
Like Sean above I get 17-18 mpg in town no matter how I drive but I get 24 mpg on a motorway at steady 70s. This is from a standard 1981 2+2 auto with 137,000 on the clock.

bro973x

Well-Known Forum User
:DI have just spoke to Mike!!! Is there anything he doesn't know!!!! :bow:I need to try a clamp on the cold starter on a run..Check the fuel pressure which should be between 32-34 idle and 38-40 with throttle and maybe someone has tricked the ecu by sabotaging the hot/cold injector plug!!!
Looks like the garage has their work cut out!!! Thanks to you all for helping me on this one!!!! You're All Stars!!!

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
£20.

I put twenty quids worth of fuel in about a year & half ago & theres still probably £15
worth in the tank! That make'z my 2+2 The most economical Z in the hiztory of kindman,
or mankind.:eek: DJZ 60.:D

bro973x

Well-Known Forum User
I think its the Transmission...Mike sent me a gasket so that I can have the box changed and cleaned. Me and my boy went down the A127 saturday and he loved it as much as I !!! We cruised at around 70 (yeh,right)...And when I put the rubber to the metal...WoW!!!!! Purred like a kitten! ( On Amphetamines!!)...We managed,before I had legal and Mums Wrath to worry about,120......She is going in to have all that stuff done tomorrow but ....I want it NOW!!!! I am not a speed freak though!!! I like the sound she makes!!!

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
....And not a bit of shake!!!

Hi,
You're lucky!...My 280ZX tries to shake itself to bits over 60mph!....I need to get some new tyres and get them balanced properly...I don't think the current ones are balanced at all actually!:conf2: