0h dear there all at it

Someone made a very good point in the comments.

"If VW can cheat the environment rules, would they ever be suspected of putting in software which tells the owner his car needs to be seen by a main dealer?

The modern sensors in cars have no problem warning you not to drive the car until seeing the main dealership, but no explanation on why the car drives perfectly well for miles and weeks/months, until its next scheduled service at least!"

Of course they do....

This emissions 'fiddle' is quite shocking, I hope Nissan aren't guilty too.

I know it's a diesel issue but who knows what software 'fiddles' are on petrol cars?

I was against all this emission stuff at first because of the smell and cost of Cats but it certainly makes a difference. I was at a Classic Show in Hinckley on Sunday and the fumes from some cars was awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a previous Thread (rant) of mine, we might see fairer taxing now after a full inquiry into real-world emissions:

My mate who has a new Mondeo 2.0 Diesel pays £30 per year, I have to pay £490 for the 370Z. 16.5 times more, yes 16.5 times more! I get 28.5 mpg he gets in the 40s he says. Am I chucking out 16.5 times more pollution?

Rant over.

the fumes from some cars was awful.

You must have been following me! ;)

Actually Rob they've all been at it and VW is just the first to be caught. I guarantee in the coming weeks we will see many more cases. It's the new LIBOR - when one in the peer group is fixing all do the same to remain competitive.

This had been known about for a very long time but governments / authorities have turned a blind eye - until now if course when government coffers are tight and there is an incentive for multi-billion fines.

Research the Prius and Google is littered with people screaming about the "special" programme that kicks in / detects when testing for official MPG cycles. Customers can't get close to the official figures by a massive factor.

Be interesting to see what crazy law suits come out of US and if any company folds as a result. What about 3rd party supplies e.g. Likes of Lotus using Toyota engine. This will run for months of not a year it two! Cameron must be pleased ;)

You must have been following me! ;).........

Ha Ha I've edited my post :eek:

The official figures for my 370Z are:

Urban 18.4
Extra Urban 36.2
Combined 26.9

I actually get on my read-out 28.5 ALL THE TIME so it's fairly accurate - unless of course my read-out is fiddled! I've never actually checked it.

Could have a massive impact on people that pay tax on company cars based on emissions.

The whole tax-for-emissions and testing regime is a dog's breakfast. And its not that difficult to do properly, but there is no political will. Well at last we have something that might break the cycle and bring something accurate and environmentally relevant

Ha Ha I've edited my post :eek:

The official figures for my 370Z are:

Urban 18.4
Extra Urban 36.2
Combined 26.9

I actually get on my read-out 28.5 ALL THE TIME so it's fairly accuate - unless of course my read-out is fiddled! I've never actually checked it.

So Mr G., as a rule of thumb the DIS is generally 5% optimistic. I found my S2000 delivered a measured 28-30MPG which included regularly getting up to 9000RPM. So some cars / manufacturers are pretty honest about these things.

As for tax, I'd be very surprised if they are able to apply this retrospectively. But the fines and costs to remedy are going to make banking fines look compassionate.

with it being in the US it just reminds me of the deep water horizon thing, toyotas issues........ just the good'ol us after 'foreign' companies who take sales away from their own.

I think that this 'cheat' is in the same bracket as the Toyota turbo boost cheat from the 90's. You really have to hats off to them for the ingenuity. Is the crime not getting caught....?

Be interesting to see what crazy law suits come out of US and if any company folds as a result. What about 3rd party supplies e.g. Likes of Lotus using Toyota engine. This will run for months of not a year it two! Cameron must be pleased ;)

I think Cameron is a bit preoccupied at the moment :rofl::flyingpig:

Burnsie, I think you meant screwing about with your head :smash:

Wonder what effect this is going to have on VW's impending purchase of Lotus F1 team given this is going to cost them billions:(

The lawyers are going to make a killing while the people who have VW's on company/salary sacrifice are going to get bent over. Hooray for the blood sucking lawyers. They're really looking out for people on this one.

I think there is nothing to fear for those who have VW as co cars. After all the employer, employee, leasing co all entered into these agreements in good faith.? HMRC pursue the employee, who then pushes it onwards to his\her employer, who then pursue the leasing company, who then pursue the UK dealer \ manufacturer?..what it does is bring to the forefront the sensitivity of the emissions numbers and clever lawyers will draft a clause seeking indemnity from the other party on future contracts if it is established this is widespread practice in the industry. AFAIK the issue is specific to US sales and not UK\EU supplied cars..

Back