RHD 240Z on ebay - this is the real test of today's prices !

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
So can anyone explain the thread title to me? Why is this particular car "...the real test of today's prices."?
Sean penned the thread title so he is the only one who can answer that question. Over to him.........

Especially so in light of its past history and likely need of serious work.
I think this has only since come to light after a bit of detective work from the peanut gallery EXTRA:D

Old cars should be judged on a case-by-case basis. The selling price of this car - or any other single car - is not necessarily going to be a reliable datum point when its true condition is questionable.
It seems the true conditon is a typical UK HS30 that has been kept on the road from year to year with a bit of welding here, patching there until 2008 when time and too many British winters caught up with it.... It now needs a correct and potentially expensive restoration programme to replace floors, sills, dog legs, perhaps arches etc and taking back to bare metal with a full repaint after repairs made. So it is a car for restoration, a project or in the sellers own words which might mean something to someone (but not me)
'She is being sold as requiring a good going over before any use' :EXTRAconfused::EXTRAlol:

For a bit of fun, head above the parapet time....
What would someone be willing to pay for such a car tomorrow, after a few drinks on a bank holiday Monday?
I would think up to £25k would be a reasonable price, maybe a tad more. It's going to need perhaps £15/20k spending to create a nicely restored car and not be out of pocket after completion dependent on who does the work of course.

Robotsan

Club Member
I also know James bought your 280 and I told him it would be a great car and that I knew you. So you owe me a pint too ha ha.

Reputation is everything.

For what it's worth, I also advised him to buy the 280z.. is there room in the pint queue? 😂

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
he use to live within 10 miles of me, so surely thats 5 pints for me?
I still have the house in Devon near you and a car storage barn a stones throw from your house EXTRA;)
I'm back in UK for a couple of weeks mid-September, if you around and not jet-setting halfway across the world, maybe we can find time for a pint at the Maltsters Arms and you can show me your classic 911EXTRA:D

Anyone else who is claiming a pint that is the venue unless you are at Goodwood Revival or Castle Combe the following weekend!

I still have the house in Devon near you and a car storage barn a stones throw from your house EXTRA;)
I'm back in UK for a couple of weeks mid-September, if you around and not jet-setting halfway across the world, maybe we can find time for a pint at the Maltsters Arms and you can show me your classic 911EXTRA:D

Anyone else who is claiming a pint that is the venue unless you are at Goodwood Revival or Castle Combe the following weekend!

I can't show you a classic 911 but maybe a 993!

I'm on for that pint. Just lost my stowage at Winslade park :(

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
I can't show you a classic 911 but maybe a 993!

I'm on for that pint. Just lost my stowage at Winslade park :(

993 considered last of the proper 911's by many EXTRA;)
If you need storage not a problem, nothing fancy, but cheap, dry and less than a mile from you.
Will get in touch when I'm back.

Chappers

Club Member
Can I claim my pint as well please- Chris has been to my man shed and I have some panels from one of his cars here - must be a gallon there?

Healey 12

Club Member

Well I am @ Goodwood revival and have read your posts , so happy to buy your a pint due to entertainment value you have given everyone

Ashley

Club Member
Sean penned the thread title so he is the only one who can answer that question. Over to him.........

I think this has only since come to light after a bit of detective work from the peanut gallery EXTRA:D

It seems the true conditon is a typical UK HS30 that has been kept on the road from year to year with a bit of welding here, patching there until 2008 when time and too many British winters caught up with it.... It now needs a correct and potentially expensive restoration programme to replace floors, sills, dog legs, perhaps arches etc and taking back to bare metal with a full repaint after repairs made. So it is a car for restoration, a project or in the sellers own words which might mean something to someone (but not me)
'She is being sold as requiring a good going over before any use' :EXTRAconfused::EXTRAlol:

For a bit of fun, head above the parapet time....
What would someone be willing to pay for such a car tomorrow, after a few drinks on a bank holiday Monday?
I would think up to £25k would be a reasonable price, maybe a tad more. It's going to need perhaps £15/20k spending to create a nicely restored car and not be out of pocket after completion dependent on who does the work of course.
I think the only way the buyer can restore it and be on the right side of the cost is by getting his hands dirty. The only thing worse than a rotten car is a bodged-up rotten car which is likely to make even more work. I hope he is sitting down when all that underseal is removed ;)

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Interesting to see if the buyer turns up on here sooner or later, they often do. Hopefully he checked it over in person and did a bit of research before bidding so no unexpected surprises. I think ultimately it was a fair price for the car and both buyer and seller can be happy despite the obtuse wording of the advert.