what can i say

Just spotted this too earlier on. It would make a good candidate for a straight, no messing standard restoration I would've thought. One owner, 29k miles etc. Makes for a nice narrative in a market where unmolested UK-original cars will rise to the top value-wise...

Wonder what the important underside stuff looks like?

Interesting that the rust appears to be more related to peeling paint than eating from the inside out as usual. The rear arches actually look quite decent despite the surface rust covering them.

Interesting how quick the price has gone up on this one. Am I missing something? I have spoken to the seller and I was tempted to go look at it but it is a 260 and the condition isn't great. How has that slam panel got so bad? The rust looks to be everywhere so the shell will have to be stripped and blasted to get back to metal or its all going to come back in a couple of years. The 1 owner and 29k is irrelevant as we all know the shell is the most important part. Been standing for a while and no mot so I'll assume it needs the full strip and rebuild of the mechanical bits, but that's not too major.

On the plus side, the seats and dash look good. Nothing appears to have been covered up so you get what you see. Maybe even clear coat and go with the rat look until you save for the resto.

I'd agree on the "we all know the shell is the most important part bit" - but in a wider classic car sense, people who aren't "we" value that kind of thing and are motivated by it! :p That's why I wouldn't say its irrelevant - as long as the car isn't a total basket case. It's the kind of car where you may get general bidders willing to pay a lot more than some of us would, with our decidedly critical eyes and first-hand knowledge of the cars.

Wherever it was stored I'm guessing had some serious condensation issues. Surely that would encourage that kind of non-specific surface rust. Maybe the slam panel was an area where moisture accumulated based on where it was standing/what was dripping on it, etc. Then again, you see plenty of mostly rust-free Cali cars with thoroughly rotten slam panels. It's a really pronounced rust attraction!!

............The rear arches actually look quite decent despite the surface rust covering them.

So you 'body' guys how do you deal with deeply pitted metal to get a good finish and prevent rust re-appearing?

I totally agree with the seller - it needs looking at before bidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 categories here

End user own little workshop end of garden probably 7k - 10 k nice car

Project manager 15 k should be nice car

Car dealer/ salesman tub of filler and a coat of paint probably satin black the engine bay to make a quick buck

3 different end results 3 different cars 3 different prices

as Richi says people will blinded with the one owner 29k

I've just got back from a good look over the car. Seller is a really nice honest guy and really wants to only sell it to someone that's seen it. I can confirm, as the seller has, that you really should look at this car before bidding so you know exactly what your getting. I'd hate to see this genuine bloke get messed around.

I didn't buy it. if you are interested in it and can't get to see it then pm me and I'll advise off forum.

I've just got back from a good look over the car. Seller is a really nice honest guy and really wants to only sell it to someone that's seen it. I can confirm, as the seller has, that you really should look at this car before bidding so you know exactly what your getting. I'd hate to see this genuine bloke get messed around.

I didn't buy it. if you are interested in it and can't get to see it then pm me and I'll advise off forum.

I'm not interested as the stable is full, but you might safe yourself a few PM's if the seller indicated what he wants for the car?

...but you might safe yourself a few PM's if the seller indicated what he wants for the car?
Surely what the seller wants is to see the car go the full +8 days distance on ebay with a maximum of conflicting bids - already up to nearly £5k.

Sounds (and looks from the ebay photos) like there is a lot of work to do, many parts to replace so not a bargain.
However, as stated, it'll sell on being a low-mileage UK car and a rare 260Z 2 seater at that.

Not sure what the seller wants. I offered the top end of what I think the car is worth and that didn't buy the car. I drove a fair distance to look at the car with the view to buy it and nearly didn't make an offer at all after seeing it. I still think that it's suitable for someone out there but maybe not me. He has been advised to let it run the distance by his son but I feel he may be messed around if it sells to someone who hasn't seen it.

There are very few bargains out there now and generally these cars are going to people who don't care that the project will cost them more than the finished car will be worth. If your keeping the car then that doesn't really matter as eventually the values will catch up.

that doesn't really matter as eventually the values will catch up.

better start buying then as there's no interest on ya cash ;)

Back