triple webers

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

I have a 260z with the standard 260 carbs which are rubbish.......I'm going to replace the carbs so I was thinking about getting webers instead of standard 240carbs.

I know I'll gain nothing by putting them on my standard engine but thought it I could use them again on an l28 im going to get built sometime in the future.

this a good or bad idea?, just bid on a set on ebay, ill know in the next couple of hours if I won or not.

Jay

well I missed out on them by $10, they were in excellent condition, on the look out for another set now..........wont buy unless they are in good condition.
Jay

Go for it

Jay

For me it's the sound of a burbling set of webbers that does it every time, :devil: you should get an increase in power even with standard cam etc.

Most important factor is no matter what anybody says you cannot tune webbers/multi carb setups without a rolling road, anyone can balance them at idle but all hell breaks loose when you hit the loud pedal.

Best of luck searching, but for a good set be prepared to part with 400 plus, you can still buy them new from some motorsport agents but hey ho re-mortgage comes to mind.

Service kits are around £20 each, as for jets most roller places will swap jets at cost/ like for like during a setup session, again expect to not get change from 250 if you include work on the dizzy at the same time.

Nigel

well i bid $800 on a good set last night but they went for $810!! the problem is shipping, not many of them want to ship to ireland for some reason, even thought ill pay the shipping........

well when I do eventually get a set I'll defo get them set up on a rollling road, a local tuning company (trackday performance) said they would set them up no prob,

Jay.

Jay don't get despondent on losing out by $10, you never know what proxy he had. He may have bid a lot more in fact.

Sadly quite a few Yanks, not all, aren't happy selling overseas. If you have a friend in the US, you can always ship to them and get them to post on.

G.

Mr.G said:
If you have a friend in the US, you can always ship to them and get them to post on.

I have a friend in Greece who's always buying from Ebay UK.

guess who does the shipping to Greece? :thumbs:

I do always add a small % mark up tho.

Go for it Jay, the first job I do when I buy a Z is fit triples, modified head & cam. It makes a very quick road car & the sound is music to your ears (no need for stereo)

Surely without changing anything but, triples won't give much of a performance increase and well set up on 240 carbs will be better as a road car ?
I (and a lot more people) don't rate Webers as a tuning nightmare. My Dellortos (set up on a rolling road) haven't needed touching in over a year !

Don't want to be the dampers on but that is a lot of money - is the return worth it ? The same money to buy a god set of 240 carbs and better brakes might serve you better and help get around Mondello Park quicker.....:)

I realise they wont do much for the engine I have at the moment, but I'm looking to buy something that I can use again on an l28 I'm hoping to get rebuilt at some stage...........If I bought 240 carbs Ide have to buy triples for the l28 anyway.

I actually have a brother living in the states..........but if they have postage on to USA you cant even bid!!!!

I'll keep a look out anyway,
Thanks,
Jay.

Really? Is that true? Never realised this, I think it's time your bro opened up an ebay account :D

Good luck with the Webber purchasing Jay, they (Dellortos, Mikunis too) look terrific on a Z. I wouldn't mind a nice polished set with trumpets on my coffee table just to drool at.

Just make sure you get the right internal diameter ones for your future application.

Jay, you don't have to buy tripples for a 2.8, especially if they are going on a fairly standard road car.

Webers look good and sound good (sometimes adding to noise issues for track days).

2" SUs are cheaper and from my experience, if set up well give power, economy and reliability.

Jay, ask about on HybridZ for someone willing to forward the carbs to you/ I did this with my Turbo as the seller wouldn't ship to the UK. The guys on there are very helpful. Don't go too big on the chokes or you low speed response will be bad.

a mate of mine is getting rid of all his Z parts a lot of it iv had but he has a set of triples inc manifold i dont really want them he said will put them on ebay next week but if you really want to go that way maybe you could make him an offer im sure if i ask him you could have his tel no?? to speak with him. they mite need a good clean not ben used for some time think they were last used on 1 of out track cars????

martin w
with yet another 260z 2+2

It depends how far you want to tune your car. My understanding having considered this route and spoken to several people is that for most engines a good pair of 2" SU's matched to a ported manifold will perform almost as well as a set of triples (say 40mm or maybe 45mm). The benefit of the SU's is better fuel economy and a less complicated set-up. The difference comes once an engine's level of tune moves beyond mild mods and onto higher duration cams and more significant head work. At that point the SU's can get left behind. What this means is that 2" SU's will do the job for 90% of engines. In fact, without mods even a 2.8 will probably be 'over-carbed' by a pair of 2" SU's because the stock cam and head can't get the benefit of their higher flow over a set of 240Z Hitachi's (which I think are under-rated by many).

Without a doubt, triple webers look wonderful, and sound great, but most engines don't need them. And if you're going for serious tuning then maybe you should consider going the Skiddell way and opting for throttle bodies with an ECU! Lots more money of course, but probably the best you can get.

If you're determined to go for triples though, just don't slap them onto a stock engine - you'll probably be disappointed! Wait until your new engine has been built with a nicely done head/cam combo and a performance exhaust. If you haven't done anything else yet then I'd start with a nice pair of 240Z carbs - they might well transform your 2.6 while you get your monster 2.8 sorted out :)

The potential to improve the performance of SUs is very great. Improving the transition area between the barrel and the piston and work on the butterfly increases air flow through the carb greatly.
You can get the air flow through a 1 3/4 SU to match that of a of one barrel of a 40s weber. This performance and the simplicity of an SU seems like good value.

ok well thanks for all the advise guys.........

the 2.8 im planning on getting build will have the usual headwork, cam, manifold ect, nothing special really, fuel consumption isn't really an issue for me as the car is only used on a sunny sunday....

I love the look if triples in an engine bay, I have never even heard a set on a car before, I have my mind mad up now so think im gonna go for a set.

thanks,
Jay.

ok well thanks for all the advise guys.........

the 2.8 im planning on getting build will have the usual headwork, cam, manifold ect, nothing special really, fuel consumption isn't really an issue for me as the car is only used on a sunny sunday....

I love the look if triples in an engine bay, I have never even heard a set on a car before, I have my mind mad up now so think im gonna go for a set.

thanks,
Jay.

yes I have concidered them but they are very hard to find, I've heard good things about them too, finding a set is the problem!

Jay.

Back