Hello!

Geoff-R

Club Member
Hi all, I've lurked on this forum for quite some time but never posted anything. I thought now would be the perfect time to post up.

I recently acquired a 1974 260Z which I believe is one of the very first as it's chassis is RS30 000068. Now this car hasn't been on the road since 1987, nearly as long as I've been alive! You can imagine the state it's in, it's opted for the light weight route and shed weight in the usual areas, outer sills (yet to inspect inner ones but I suspect there too), floor pans (you can see the floor through there!), rear arches (inner and outer), rear valance, spare wheel well, chassis rails. It really is in a sorry state, however I haven't been scared off yet, its still standing under it's own weight. Due to other commitments I haven't had a chance to really strip it down yet but I suspect I may find more rot.

Now my dilemma is that it's a really early car and I want to save it, I'm not in any hurry to get it back on the road, it's a long term restoration, but on the other hand I'm wondering if it's too far gone. I have toyed with the idea of buying a US 260Z and re-shelling this one converting it from LHD to RHD as I know a complete car is ideal to convert a car from LHD to RHD and this one is complete.

Any opinions are welcome, let me know!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Without seeing it or any pics I'd say be careful about restoring a Z that far gone. It could end up being a very long and expensive job.

atomman

Club Member
Hello and welcome

I think it all boil's down to money, can you do the work yourself ? welding etc etc..? You can save a lot of expense if you can, If you have to out source the work its gonna probably cost your more than buying an import in the end,

Good to see another Z owner down this way,

Gary

Geoff-R

Club Member
Rob, this is my worry. Without knowing the legal ins and outs of reshelling a car and keeping the original identity wondering if its just a perfect donor for a LHD to RHD project. I'll have some pictures shortly once I upload them. I'm expecting it would be a very long and expensive project to put this back on the road but I'm in for the long haul, just need to go the correct route.

Geoff-R

Club Member
Here we go gents. Brace yourselves. With regards to doing work myself, I can dismantle it, the engine can be sorted. Basically the only thing I can't do myself is the welding, I've never actually given it a go. I'm up for trying most things but I'm assuming welding has a bit of an art to it!

IMG_20141019_174817_zpskjlz6ssn.jpg

IMG_20141019_174834_zps5bjayc24.jpg

IMG_20141019_174938_zpsmkzrzoiu.jpg

IMG_20141019_174950_zpslmray7fa.jpg

IMG_20141019_175203_zps6xyziktn.jpg

IMG_20141019_175212_zps0w0iyaxz.jpg

IMG_20141019_175217_zps2tylobb7.jpg

IMG_20141019_175402_zpso7tksebu.jpg

IMG_20141019_175413_zpsrzhtygey.jpg

IMG_20141019_175508_zpskwhh8b7y.jpg

IMG_20141019_175617_zpsza3iop2h.jpg

tel240z

Club Member
Not wanting to sound negative Geoff but imo thats to far gone theres 10k of work there welding and painting and another 5k to finish off

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yep, agree with Terry it's much too bad for even an expert to restore IMO.

Sorry but better to ask like you have done than start on an endless road.

johnymd

Club Member
Too far gone IMO far far cheaper, plus you'll end up with a better car, to go the import route.

Geoff-R

Club Member
Thanks for the input guys, my honest opinion was that it's a hell of a task to bring back. If I was able to weld it may be on the cards but as I can't I'm well aware a huge chunk of money would go in to that before all the other stuff was tackled. Now seeing as its a complete vehicle would it be wise to rip it apart and use as a donor for a LHD conversion?

its not just being able to weld, its all the panels it'll need that you can't get anymore.

What would you use as a donor for a LHD conversion? I guess the bulkhead is rotten also?

Dale

Club Member
The advise so far is bang on I'd say, it looks too much to consider doing.

Having a low VIN'ed 260 myself I understand the sentiment to want to save it but I've come to realise that I'm the only person who really cares about that fact, so if I was in a position where it would be financially better to cut my losses, I would.

Geoff-R

Club Member
That's well put Dale, I appreciate the opinions and this is exactly why I asked. Always better to get the views from enthusiasts who know the cars inside out.

z32bolt

Well-Known Forum User
I hope you didn't part with much cash for it, sad to see it like that. The donnor plan sounds more sensible.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Yes - real shame to see an early 260Z biting the dust, but that looks like a real scary money pit. Good luck with whatever you decide to do next!

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
i have a early car 000153 mainly complete in far better condition for sale give me a call07946703969 or pm car is cheap caris all ready striped open to offers